Forum Spotlight idea

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by agentmanningctu, Aug 30, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have an idea.

For $5, a user can submit an article about their site or forum. I'm adding a premium member plugin that will allow members to upgrade to premium and post an article in an advertising section. Pleas note that this is on WordPress.

Now, I need a little help. Is there a way to publish a post without adding it to the Recent Posts? (So it won't show up on the home page)

I think the price is reasonable, but I may offer an introductory discount.

#1 agentmanningctu, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a bunch Kay. I'm going to try (and most likely fail) to add that bit of code and see how it goes. :)

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had to do something similar with my Cuckleburr Times theme to only have certain posts in certain categories, agentmanningctu. It wasn't for the Recent Posts though. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Do you know how to get the category ID once you set it up?

ETA: You just go to Categories in the Dashboard and hover your mouse over the category name. It will tell you in the bottom left of your browser what it is, where the URL shows. Look for something like "cat_id=21" or whatever number it is. All you need is the number itself.

#4 Kay, Aug 30, 2010
  5. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yep. I have the category ID set up, I'm just not sure where to paste the code in the editor. I can't find "recentposts" in any of the php files.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Give me a sec and I'll go look at your site and see if I can find anything helpful. I'm no expert, I warn you but I'll try. :) What's the main link?

ETA Could it be because you need this widget mentioned in the article? I could alter mine through the theme options itself.

'

Hopefully someone better at the coding side than me will come to your rescue soon. :) Which is just about everybody LOL. Please make sure you copy/paste the original code into Notepad too before making changes so you can retrieve it if need be.

#6 Kay, Aug 30, 2010
  7. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okie dokie. Very nice theme, btw. :)

I don't see any Recent Posts on your page anywhere. Is it not activated at all right now in your theme? I'm looking at the demo of the theme from the footer link and I see the Recent Entries when I view the page source for the demo. It's beyond what I know though, sorry. Wasn't much help there but I'm sure someone here can do better. :)

Anyway, I'm off to bed. If I can find anything tomorrow that may help if no-one's already come up with anything, I'll holler. Fastest thing to do may be to just leave a comment at the developer's site here. He's asked people to do that if they have questions about the theme and I don't think yours is any more detailed than anyone else's. He's been answering them recently too.

9. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm. Thinking about it, I just need the "Recent Entries" on the main page to exclude the one category. I'm messing with code haha.

Thanks a bunch for the help. :)

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're very welcome and I hope it all works out in the end fine. :) I did look earlier today and couldn't come up with anything else I thought would be helpful. Talk about the blind leading the blind! LOL. Ah well, I tried anyway. :) Keep me posted on how you get on.

11. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tried posting on the WP support forums, but no luck. I just need to learn a bit of coding. :)

12. haseebannadamban

haseebannadamban
    uix_expand uix_collapse

use different identifier for different type of posts for mysql database
    such as your post identifier=1
    personal post identifier =2
    and other posts 3 and higher
    and include in your php script for selecting data with identifier 1 and 2 and include only data with 1 and 2 on recent posts column