Forum signature link in Google eyes!

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by altcom, Jan 22, 2013.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
    #1 altcom, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This an OLD news. I think every SEO expert should know this. Now Google is going to take action against short replies on forum threads like, Thank you, Great info, Thanks for information, etc

Also the URL which you had given is about no-follow links.

This is the correct URL http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66356

• Like Like x 5
  3. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I already knew about it and so do everyone else. But thank you so much that this will help those who don't know about it.

4. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry sorry, I post the wrong link. Thanks for correction.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As a forum owner, I'm happy to see that Google are recognising poor quality forum posts made just to get a signature link. This will make it less attractive for people to post spam on forums and hence, hopefully reduce the level of poor quality content we have to deal with.

6. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was always implemented, just no action was taken. This is a brilliant thing. Less spam.

7. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've made a discussion to my partner yesterday about forum signature links. Well, I'm not really sure how Google treats those kinds of links. However, I've made a conclusion based on their example that they are still recognizing forum links as part of ranking factors based on the quality of the post.

You will notice that they gave an example of a one liner response with a bunch of signature links in anchor texts. I thought somehow that Google is still filtering the quality of the post made by a user in a forum and give weight to it. Again, I am not sure about that because I don't know how they can determine the quality of every post from millions of legit and spammers in all forums around the globe. But It's not impossible though, they were able to detect and turn down some what we think "unstoppable" spam activities over the years.

But there's one clear bottom line from this, reputation counts. And we should aim for that.

8. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But we don't have to wait for Google to detect the spam forum post or comments. As a member of a forum, we are also entitled to report any "spam" comments we might encounter on viewing threads and posts/reply.
    If you think that the answer or reply to a post is not related and even leave a link to its own personal website, we have to report that also. We can contribute on cleaning the forum to stay reputable and family-friendly. WE should help each other members, the moderators, the forum for we all benefit on it. We can do business on this forum without playing dirty tricks.

Always think before you post. Ayt?

Hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. WorkWithMorgan

WorkWithMorgan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is a disservice to the community to barely participate in the forum just to try to get some weird Google juice that may not work anyway. I don't like playing the Google dance. I'd rather meet and connect with people in the community than be here solely for the backlinks.

10. askpreeti

askpreeti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some people use short comments like "thank you" and "great info" just to increase number of posts in forums to activate signature and to get backlinks from forums and blogs..but what if someone genuinely want to thank blogger or the person who gives reply ?

11. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does it mean that if we start posting with around two sentences maybe 250 words , google will eventually like our signature links?

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't know this ..good and great news for me..it will include active participation of the people on forums..another rule and added advantage for SEO.....

13. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's absolutely brilliant the irony of how many members with anchor text optimised links in their signature have replied to this thread. The exact tactic Google warns against in their guidelines!

If you're going to forum post have generic text such as click here, more info, free gift etc as the anchor or a naked anchor (your site's url).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Will Passmore

Will Passmore
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Pete, if you read the article again you'll notice it's talking about low quality posts.
    The replies here are on topic and thus should not be penalized. That said, if I put a link to my blog about sobriety, it may be penalized because it has nothing to do with business or tech.

I think this is mostly about improving quality but also only counting on topic links.

15. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get penalized easily even if you are leaving good quality long posts and if the links are pointing to a similar topic website. I have had it happen personally. According to my tests, it is the anchor text that matters.

16. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Here on BAF we have a "thanks" link that can be used to thank an individual member. For blogs or forums that do not have such a system, or even here where we do, The person giving the thanks should give more details about why they are thanking the person and how the information they are thanking them for was helpful.

It is not the quantity of words that is important, but what the words say. Long ago, when this was first pointed out, before this thread was even started, I asked Google if a ink was related to the content of the post, would that be considered a valid link - I never got an answer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Will Passmore

Will Passmore
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

So I guess people should get used to not including ther signature in certain posts?

18. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I actually started doing that some time ago. On posts that are related to what I do, I include my signature. This way, even if they don't help my rankings in Google, people interested in my services can click on the links, so I get targeted traffic. On posts that are not related to what I do, I do not include my signature. Of course, if you are providing SEO services, and include a client's link in your signature, there is no longer a reason to do so, if there ever really was, so including your signature anywhere is useless.

19. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats what they do. Leaving SEOs hanging.

20. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah Google should take care of spam post. So, things don't get messed up while searching for a particular thing.