Forum Shop?

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by Xyphien, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Xyphien

Xyphien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most forums tend to have a shop where you can purchase stuff outside of the exchange. Does this site have one, as I do not see it. If not, you should add one. There's several things you could add which would allow the community to use it. Such as, a stickied thread for like $2,000 or something along those lines. $2,000 to post a thread in the advertisement section, some money for a colored username or something along those lines. Stuff like this will give the currency a whole lot more worth, and would cause more people to use the exchange system, as well as make people post more for money. Currently you just have paid sections, and if people are putting everything they have into their business, start up, site, etc. they won't be able to spare the money for certain stuff, and this is what the forum currency would be used for.

2. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Shop as in what, a shop thread where we sell things for the BAF Cash (which at the moment, it is only a username change), other than in the Forum Cash Exchange Board, or user account upgrades? Where we sell upgrades for real cash? Both of which we have.

Stickied threads costs real cash, and must be purchased through the user accounts upgrades.

Just posting a promotion thread is free I think at this moment, thus why you need to pay cash for the sticky.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I took a look at the BAF Cash Exchange, and I noticed only the following available:

Earn BAF Cash

A Tweet or Facebook update promoting BAF
    Post, or post an ad in another member's forum
    Post in this forum
    Comment on a video
    Register on a forum. or join another site

Spend BAF Cash

Tweet your message in a member's Twitter feed.

As you can see, most of the posts are to earn BAF Cash, for things they do outside of BAF. If members could get something of real value from BAF, for their BAF Cash, they would be more likely to post on BAF to earn it. Of course, the tasks they need to perform for BAF Cash would not be as easy. For example, they now earn BAF Cash for posting on the forum. If they are actually able to earn something tangible for their BAF Cash, they could not simply make posts like "Looks interesting ..Thanks a lot for sharing it." , or "What is new technique in seo off page?", or "I prefer window7 for better os to use.". Their posts would have to be more detailed, and truly helpful.
    So what would they use it for? Back when Fergal still owned the forum, and was thinking of selling it, I expressed an interest in buying it. My business did not do as well as I hoped, and I was unable to do so, But, one of the ideas I had was a BAF Store, where members could purchase actual items with the BAF logo on them. To lower the price of their purchase, members could buy discount codes with their BAF Cash, at whatever exchange rate was established by the Administrator.
    The idea, of course, is to reward those who participate in the forum, and actually provide advice of value to the members, whether by asking an interesting question or answering one.

4. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I can't speak for Nerdie, I have always liked the idea of a store to purchase stuff at, at a discount via forum cash.

Well, with the Exchange board, that is up to the individual members to set the rates on what they want to give away, or purchase with their forum cash, and having a boardwide value set by us, kinda defeats the purpose of allowing everyone to determine a value they think would be worth trading at. I have always been one to allow others to practice a free market, even on forums, so to allow people to make and adjust prices to things, as they see the value of it go up and down.

In regards to asking or answering questions in the various boards, we can encourage users to ask and answer those with good quality thoughtful threads or replies, but there are always going to be users who will give less than good responses.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Of course the individual members can set their own prices for their own products/services, and I did not mean to say we should tell them what to charge. When I said "something of value", I meant an actual service or product that they could use. For example, someone could promote their business by selling promotional mousepads to the members for BAF Cash, or a service provider could offer a free evaluation in exchange for BAF Cash. In both cases, the member posting the ad would decide how much BAF Cash to charge.
    If we were to have an actual BAF Store where we sold promotional merchandise with the BAF logo on them, and offered discount codes for BAF Cash, we would then decide the exchange rate of BAF Cash. For example, if the exchange rate was "$100 BAF Cash = $1", a member could purchase a $10 discount code for $1000 in BAF Cash.

That's what we are here for - to encourage the members to make quality, thoughtful threads or replies, and discourage spam or posts that are "dashed off" just to make BAF Cash. We don't want to reward those whose threads/posts are not up to the quality standards the members really want to read. If members knew they could get a tangible reward for making quality threads/posts, they would be more likely to do so.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been to other forums and I noticed they have a shop like those stickers mentioned above. But I really don't get the concept why I should buy those products with real money. For the advertisements, I can understand that since if I have a site or blog to promote, that would do me good. But with stickers, I don't think I will avail of that. Pardon me if I have misunderstood that sticker thing.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

That's what we are here for, to help our members use the forum effectively. There are a few services that BAF provides that give additional benefits to the member who purchases them, which is why they are sold for real cash. In addition to a "Sponsor" thread, which is "stuck" at the top of the list of threads, members can purchase Premium Membership for 6 months or a year, and can purchase advertisements in the "Website & Business Promotion" forum.

8. Fiona000

Fiona000
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• This post has been edited to remove a promotional link, and promotional content.
    Well it's a good idea but why forum shop? U can create just a store online. As I did. At 1st it difficult 'cause no one knows your brand.

9. jordan94

jordan94
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was confused by it at first, but after I did a little research I started to understand it a little better. I like the idea, it's really interesting. It's unique and is different from other websites that I've seen.

10. Catherine Carter

Catherine Carter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• This post has been edited to remove a promotional link
    Hello Jordan, I was confused too but the idea is really good. We need new ideas like this one in order to expand our business. We need something (project or idea) that we have never seen before.

11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The forum shop I had in mind would be accessible only to BAF members, and the discount codes I mentioned, like BAF Cash, would be a reward for their participation in the forum. When others see the promotional merchandise they purchased, it would give the member an opportunity to tell them about Business Advice Forum, and the forum could gain more members.

12. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

We have been giving several ideas some thought on how to use the BAF cash for real products and services. We want the BAF cash to have some actual value for our community members. Getting all of this into place will take a bit of time though. Stay tuned!