Forum Rules Reminder

Discussion in 'Rules & FAQ's' started by Fergal, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We are delighted with the increase in activity that we have seen in this "Sales, Marketing, Online Promotion & SEO" section of BAF. We greatly appreciate the contributions and participation of our members.

As this section becomes more active we need to enforce our forum rules as we wish to maintain our high standard of posts. This notification only applies to a very small number of members and I would like to remind those members of the following forum rules;

• Lots of extremely short posts such as "Great post" & "Thanks for sharing" do not help the community. If you wish to thank another member please make the effort to say why you are thanking them & how their post was useful to you. When appropriate, please use the Thanks System
    • Poor quality posts that are used to promote your signature link and/or run up your post count are not allowed. Please ensure that your posts are helpful, on topic (i.e. relevant the the thread posted in and not just general advice) and original (i.e. not repeating something that has already been added to the thread)
    • Please do not copy and paste long articles or posts from other sites, if you want to discuss an article, describe it in your own words and provide a link to it
    This section of our should be used to give and receive useful, helpful advice. Any post made should therefore clearly state your question or provide a useful answer to the question, not just a single line post.

Thanks for your participation and understanding!

• Like Like x 4
    #1 Fergal, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I have noticed these violations for a long time, and hopefully this reminder will help solve the problem.
    I have also noticed some members post threads about various topics as if it is original, when it is obviously quoted from another source. Some of these members, based on their previous posts, know nothing about the subject they are supposedly writing an original post about! Therefore, I would also like to suggest an addition to the rules - any post quoting information from another source MUST credit the source within the body of the post.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Joseph, one of our rules does deal with copied content. I will now edit the first post of this thread and add it to the reminder.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This thread need to be sticky.

The member who posting the thread/post that against the rules should receive infraction

5. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We should all be working on this. Let's keep BAF spam-free and quality info-loaded. :)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Sigma, I will stick this thread if the issue arises after this thread has gone from near the top of the list. Members who break the rules do receive warnings and infractions, but those infractions are not made public.

7. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Sigma is correct because it will help to reduce the spammers. I don't understand why people just posts saying thank you or great post. These kind of post should be stopped even now Google also has updated it Link scheme quality guideline where they say no to such types of posts.

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66356

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Because of the importance of the original post, and I noticed it had dropped to page 4, i wanted to "bump" it by making a couple of suggestions, but before I do, I wanted to place some emphasis on the following, as I noticed a violation of this rule today:

In the case I noticed, I believe the member was thanking the group of members who had posted to the discussion, rather than an individual, but the beginning of the rule still applies -"say why you are thanking them & how their post was useful to you".
    Now, on to the suggestion. When responding to a poll, or when answering a question such as "Which is your favorite (insert item here)?", rather than simply identifying the item, say why it is your favorite, or why you chose the poll answer that you did. Also, when starting a thread by posting a list of items or software used for a particular purpose (depending on the size of the list), add a description to each item, and, if possible, where the item can be obtained. When responding to a list, do the same, and say why you use that particular item.

• Like Like x 1