Forum Banner Exchanges: Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Jay., Feb 15, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wanted to get your opinions on forum banner exchanges. The concept is simple; two administrators both agree to display each other's banner adverts on their forums, in the hope of them both getting more traffic. Do you feel this is an effective and worthwhile technique for new forum owners?

Whilst initially I would probably think yes, it's good and not really doing harm, but after giving it a little thought I'm not so keen on the whole idea. New forums shouldn't be clogged with advertisements as it will put lots of potential new users off the forum. Aside from looking untidy, you wouldn't actually be earning any money from the adverts. And finally, since the exchanges are normally done with fairly small forums, there's not even much chance of it bringing in any successful sign ups (since the two forums are likely completely unrelated).

Yours opinions on banner exchanges between forums? Have you used this technique yourself in promoting a forum?

Thanks.

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For some past days, I was wondering about this. Banner exchange. Personally, I think it's one of the best measures to promote your site. Because, the banner itself has the picture defining your domain in words and picture. At an extend it catches the eye of the viewer and he/she visits your site. I have interest in banner exchange but I don't know what others think.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm afraid Google might look at it as link exchange. And currently link exchange is somehow frowned

4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While exchanges with small and unrelated forums might give your any real benefit. If you try doing it related forums that might be potentially harmful as your users might move to that forum and you have no assurance if you get any benefit form that forum. So this could backfire.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some forum owners have used banner exchanges very effectively to promote their sites. The owner of http://warriorcatsrpg.com/ is a member of Forum Promotion, it's a huge forum heading towards 40 million posts. If you look towards the bottom of their website you will see that they exchange banners with other sites.

Try to be careful who you exchange banners with. It would be best if you do exchanges with sites that are similar, but who are not direct competitors. For example, if you own a sports forum, you might exchange banners with sports blogs and sports news sites.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree on that. Banner exchange with same kind of site may not be a good idea like two news sites or forums. But banner exchange is better at some extend.

7. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exchange means promote similar products or services offer by competitor. You may gain and lose some of the potential client, it is a gamble exchange. If change if non similar niche, the banner become non relevant. So I dont think exchange is a good idea.