Force users to register?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by daytrader, Jul 18, 2012.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was surprised that i get alot of traffic to my forum lately and they just just don't register. I changed few settings to only allow registere users to download files yet i only get few users to register. Is there any other way to Make more of them register and participate without spending more?

2. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guests are not always humans... quite often guests are bots so that is probably why a small percentage of guests sign up to your forum.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ben Advice

Ben Advice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What he said. There are so many forms of automate browsing and spam out there that it's almost impossible to fathom. The people not registering are probably the same people who visit my blog and spend a whopping 6 seconds on the site.

The key is to register people on your site, but I don't think forcing them is the key. Perhaps you could start by giving them an incentive rather than tweaking the settings to make them register. In all honesty, people hate registering for things unless they are incredibly interested in what they will get for doing so.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Probably right. I once allowed facebook users to participate. Meaning they need not to register because facebook login is enough to access my forum and they do comment a lot but I disable it because I can't moderate them properly due to it. Do bots click ads too?

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No. Certainly someone could write a bot that also clicked on ads, but bots are typically written for a very specific purpose and the creators have nothing to gain by having the bot click on an ad.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Maybe you could start a contest that's really easy to enter, to encourage guests to register. The contest could be as simple as "reply to this thread for a chance to win". That way you would encourage guests to register, rather than forcing them.

7. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you mean Googlebot specifically? I don't think so but some people did create a program that clicks on ads.

8. StewardHill

StewardHill
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People don't register mainly because they have found what they were looking for on your forum, hence there is no need for them to register. Also, to some, registering is a waste of time. Fill this, fill that...then the always annoying captcha and you have the recipe for poor register rates. I used to have a forum, but as I had been listening to feedback from my clients I realized exactly that. Waste of time.

Try some contest and reward newly registered users with some special treat. Make registering fun...reward them for original nicknames or whatever.

9. Dawey

Dawey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You probably need a lot of traffic and a lot of forum posts before people will bother registering. If there are no interesting discussions to anticipate in, no one will bother to register. A forum really needs good moderators who can get the conversations going. Keep it open for 6 month or a year and don't worry if people don't register. After people are starting to find it interesting and people are actual discussing, you can first close some part of the forum for registered members or build a special section.

10. animeri23

animeri23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

intersting post to read..nice

11. TurnKey Internet

TurnKey Internet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that they need an incentive to register. Most people find logging in tedious, so an enticing offer may negate that minor annoyance.

12. MICHAEL LINDMARK

MICHAEL LINDMARK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You don't actually have to force users because it's illegal. What you can do is just to persuade them to register through freebies or if yours is a business you can offer discounts for the members.

13. danadlington

danadlington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They need a good reason to want to register. You could offer a free report or video training. I think it isn't about forcing someone to register because you need to build a relationship with these people. Forced members are far lest likely to want to spend money with you.

14. SeanFace101

SeanFace101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with the post a few above when saying "The key is to register people on your site, but I don't think forcing them is the key".
    If you have a referral system you could use the members you already have to get more people registering on your forum, offer them a 1st, 2nd & 3rd place prize for the most referrals by a member.
    Also, contest & prize draws could help you get more sign ups.

15. pandaa

pandaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You seem to be forgetting that registering is just the first step. Even if you have to force them to register to see any content, what guarantees that they're going to post at all? Quantity is almost never better than quality, and I don't think this is where you're going to get your quality members.

16. StarkSEM

StarkSEM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the lack of content is the key factor.

Take this BAF Forums for example... no offense, but if it didn't have a consistent user base, I'd never register to save my life. Most forums that require registration I "x" out of within 6 seconds.

17. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you must allow not registered users to download some files in your site, but that would come with a limitation, then if they would be interested to have more, then they could register to have a full access to the site. :) many people are actually tired of registering.

18. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is exactly what I did though. few of them register and post :D

19. Portal88

Portal88
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this is a nice suggestion. You need to build relationship.

20. raksha

raksha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that one should not force any of the users to register.There are a few who are interested in guest posting only while no registration is required for this as everyone knows.