Focus on Solutions, not on the problem

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When faced with problems, we're often too caught up with the problem that it's hard for us to come up with a solution. What's worse is that sometimes, the people involved starts pointing fingers at each other as to who is to blame. Instead of solving the problem, this will only worsen it because the time spent at pointing fingers and bad-mouthing others could already have been spent wisely in looking for a solution. We must act first and look for a solution and only after the problem is solved, must we conduct a thorough investigation on this.

Below are two cases related to this topic.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good points Nazreen, it is very easy to become obsessed with a problem to the extent that we are not working effectively to overcome it. Much better to concentrate on thinking of potential solutions, evaluating the solutions and then implementing the most efficient one.

3. upineter

upineter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This advice is same with AaGym advice. If we think only for the problem, it will make decrease the spirit to exist in the business. Now, the CEO of top company need the solution maker, not just problem finder.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are you referring to the Indonesian Muslim preacher?

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ford once said that in order to find the best possible way to do a job you should give it to a lazy man. He will find the easiet way to make the product.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hahaha, "in order to find the best possible way to do a job, you should give it to a lazy man". That's really funny. Since most our modern day inventions and gizmos come or originated from the U.S. then I would guess that the laziest men are mostly americans then :)

7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We like short cuts. :)

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In addition to focusing on solutions to problems at work, this approach can also be used in our everyday life. When we have marital problems for example, sometimes we are too busy blaming each other and bringing up mistakes from the past that we create even more problems instead of solving the current one.

Unfortunately, the most common cause of marital problems is money. So instead of bringing up past mistakes, we should be looking into finding ways to make money.

9. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nazreen, good item for examples. A problem marriage can also have those pesky little problems no one sees right off too. Little things like making sure the dishes make it to the dish-washer and making the bed on occasion can help alleviate slow building pressures.

In business a problem is always with advertising, getting more all the time.
    Offline:
    Doing things like getting a small magnetic sign or two for vehicles and placing them on your cars will get the word out as you drive. Stopping in an placing your business cards in restaurants and other places that allow you too.
    Online:
    Joining and participating at forums with you link in your sig, creating Squido Lens', joining social network sites, properly set up your sig in your email, plus have an auto responder for any comments you get with more information, comment on blogs, and comment in guest books.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With regards to the problem of advertising in the internet, I've also done a bit of research on this. In addition to the suggestions you've mentioned above, writing articles at ezinearticles, goarticles and isnare can also increase traffic to your website. Also, submitting your site to directory listings will also help in this area.

11. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nazreen, excellent additions.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Someone defined Insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Let's say for example that you decide to solve a problem of not being successful at your job. If you still keep doing the same thing over and over again for the last five years, don't expect that one day your boss will suddenly come to you and say "Good work! you're now the new boss!" Believe me, you have better luck winning the lottery than this!

Thinking about it, I think I was also insane before because I also did this very same thing in my previous job. Anyway in order to succeed in your job, you must also decide to make a change and do things differently. Be open-minded and try other methods to do your job more efficiently. An example of this is... if before you used a notebook to store all your contacts and appointments, why not try creating an excel sheet or try using Vista contacts or maybe try out the many free CRM softwares that are available in the internet?

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've often wondered about this, but maybe I'm just insane. Referring to another thread, you would get much different results selling typewriters today than you would have gotten 20 years ago.

It's also sometimes difficult to know what to change. Using your example ,if your job isn't bringing you the success you want or expect, you may not know if you need to change your job or if you need to change the way you do your job?

14. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Vision is obscured when you are too close, that is why a consultant is sometimes a good thing to get.

15. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But a consultant is too expensive for a cheapskate like me. I think feedback, whether it be positive or negative, would be a good way of knowing our faults and weaknesses. A truthful feedback and not a flattering feedback is what I want. I'd rather have Simon Cowell judge me than Paula Abdul.

16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bump for this thread.

So back to the topic of focusing on the solution and not the problem. People always likes to solve puzzles, play strategy games and board games. These are very good activities that train our minds in solving problems and also keep our minds active. Remember the saying, "If you don't use it, you'll lose it.". This same saying applies to our minds.

Anyway, it's good if we have some puzzles or problem solving in the forums. I'll start with the problem that my old high school teacher gave us. Please don't search in the internet because this will defeat the purpose of this exercise. Also, if you already know the answer to this problem, kindly give a chance to the others to figure it out by themselves.

17. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

They thought they paid $9.00, they really only paid $8.333, the $0.333 x 3 = $0.999, or, rounded, $1.00.

$8.333 x 3 = $25.00 + $2.00 for LeBell, and $1.00 x 3 = $30.00

You have got to go with the real numbers, not what someone thinks they know.

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hahaha, actually they did pay $9 each pendelton. At first they each forked out $10. After that LeBell gave them back $1 each so $10 - $1 = $9. They each paid $9 for their room. :)

Try again?

19. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No, they did not, they thought that they did, they all had $0.667 cents stolen from them by LeBell. They should have gotten $1.667 back from LaBell.

The assumption is that we are working with what people think they paid, not what they did pay, which causes havoc in mathematics.

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, the cashier might have been paid $8.33 * 3 = $25. But you have to admit that they each forked out $9 (or $10 - $1), right? The computation in the example I gave is based on that $9. :)