flower business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by geoffreyallen, Feb 12, 2010.

1. geoffreyallen

geoffreyallen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

how is the flower business going at the moment and how does it look for them in the future? I was curious to see how both online and traditional florists are doing in these difficult economic times since my son-in-law is thinking of opening a flower shop. :dunno:

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, flower business is ok especially this season. Valentines Day is just in the corner and many people will definitely buy one no matter how much it is. But I think as long as you don't have any competition in your place, you can succeed.

[Moved this to a more appropriate Section]

#2 GekiDan, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you can find a place with little or none florists then you could probably succeed. But find out WHY there are no florists in that area, as there could be a reason for this.

Everybody likes flowers, and they are great for pretty much every occasion. Birthdays, deaths, new jobs, any thing.

Good luck on your venture.

4. sh02

sh02
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeh, it is all about doing research. I still think there is place for the local flower shop, as well as on line florists. Also with google focusing on local search, this could be areal opportunity for florist in local areas to get a web presence with "city name florist" as the keyword and increase business.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum geoffreyallen and thanks for asking your business questions. Like many businesses, a lot will depend on your location. What country / state is he considering setting up the business in?

Flowers are a luxury purchase and unfortunately the sales of many luxury items have fallen, during the recession. That's not to say that there are no opportunities in your area. Some questions you might want to consider, when assessing the feasibility of this business;

Are there other florists in the area?
    How are they doing?
    What is pedestrian footfall like in the area you are considering?
    How are other luxury item retailers, e.g. gift shops, doing in your area?
    Is there a hospital close to your proposed location?
    What can you offer to consumers, that is better than what the existing sellers are offering?
    Will you face low cost competition from local supermarkets? More people will buy flowers from supermarkets as the recession bites and they have less money to spend.

You could spend some time sitting in your car and observing shoppers in your local town, to get a feel for the answers to these questions.

You might be interested in this feasibility study for a flower shop, it has some information in it that you might find useful, including tips for selling flowers.

Good luck with everything and please keep us updated on your thoughts and progress.

6. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The business of flowering is actually fine. It doesn't mean it has high sale or low sale. All you need to worry is about Business fall.

I believe the business can run very fine in the area where there is no flower shop. You need to know marketing strategy, look up at the place where people seek for more flowers and actually export them in reliable pricing. Anyways, all the best with the flowering business.

7. mggc

mggc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I think flower business is a good idea. You must have a good marketing strategy and you have the passion for flowers. :)

Flowers is a good way of showing affection, so I think that anywhere (as long as you don't have so much competition) you put up a flower shop will be a good business. Most men love giving their special girl flowers even without occasions so I think your son in law will do good with his business.

Good luck with the flower business! :)

8. kittelsoncarpo

kittelsoncarpo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think flower business is a seasonal type in some places. People just buy flowers if there is an occasion. But it is good idea pf having business like this. Go ahead. Run this kind of business.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are right about being this business seasonal. Perfect for valentines Day and All Soul's Day.
    And honestly, all jobs or businesses are like that.

10. aprillove

aprillove
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Putting up a flower business is great but you increases sales occasionally and depend upon the season of demands .. wherein you may fall , due to lack of demands during seasons w/c flowers are not needed more often..

11. ASAmoto

ASAmoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

12. sachac

sachac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, flowers is a fantastic business, if of course, you have a passion for it. Do you know that one of the highest coversion rates in any online business is the sale of flowers. While I have zero passion for flowers, if I did, I'd certainly start off with a localized online store. Think about it. If you live in a Hardin, Ohio, get a domain such as www.hardinflowers.com, use an inexpensive template to build a website. Then go to every florist in town and tell them that you want to sell their flowers online for a 30% commission. Everyone is looking for additional revenue so chances are they will go for it. Then all you have to is market your business and you have a great start on a shoestring.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you give us an update on your plan for this business?

14. newman9800

newman9800
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    I think flower business is a good idea. You must have a good marketing strategy and you have the passion for flowers.Flowers are the most beautiful creation of God.Flower business sounds good but at perfect season.At certain occasion or festival it's the right time.

15. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is a great idea about venturing into a flower shop business. Flower business is literally called a labor of love.

I wonder if it's considered amongst seasonal businesses which operate certain occasions of the year. But then again, putting up a flower business like any other businesses, it has to develop more of plannings, intensive market research specially your local target market, analyzing your financial situation, with a thorough and complete presentation, promotion, advertising and for the future's expansion of the business.

Good luck to your son-in-law, Geoffreyallen!

#15 gtt, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. flora

flora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Flower business is a good idea. But you have to consider first yourself. Do you love flowers? What are the list of flowers do you know? Do you know some of the flowers that blooms during that specific season?

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good questions flora. I wonder I haven't tried to ask that before... ><

18. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my own point of view, any business is good. The thing is you need "know who is your target market is and who is your competitor." If you know your target market you can adjust on the price and item that you are going to sell in accordance to their budget and demands as well. On the other hand, you also need to consider who is your competitor, check their promotional gimiks and go with the flow or much better if you keep upgrading your service rather than the usual one.

19. eddane

eddane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People will always buy flowers - its just the pricing that you need to get right.

Expensive is ok if you have a good location etc.

Ed