Flipping websites or domains - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to make sure I understand this correctly and would like to hear of any personal experiences on this. Please bear in mind I know very little about flipping so dumb questions will be the order of the day.

My understanding of flipping is basically you buy the website/domain cheap and sell it higher, is that right? What I'd really like to know is a) how to spot a good one and b) what you need to do to add value to a site. I don't ask for much. ;)

I've heard stories of people buying sites that are practically worthless, with fake stats given, etc. How do you protect yourself from being conned like that? For example, how would you be able to find out if a site's banned by Google apart from just taking the owner's word for it that it's not?

I know there has to be a certain degree of trust between any buyer and seller but I'd hate to get stuck with a pig in a poke. It's an idea I'm tossing around just now as something I perhaps should be looking at but I want to go into it with my eyes open. I haven't any particular site in mind or anything right now.

Another thing...should you look in different places depending on whether you want a site or a domain? And if you do buy a site/domain, how does the owner actually transfer it to you?

Thanks in advance.

2. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

flipping website is a lot simpler than it sounds if you have ideas and money you can have a lot of websites flipped.

Skiils required!!

1.Eye for good niches
    2.Good domain hunting
    3.Need to be proactive
    4.Need to market well

Dont worry about what you are going to put in the website as most website are sold with not more than 10 unique articles adn 10 unique articles costs a $35 dollars in DP forums

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm also not that knowledgeable when it comes to flipping websites but I'd like to share what I know. For checking on websites if they're banned or not and checking for backlinks, you can try iwebtool.

Q. How would you be able to find out if a site's banned by Google?
    A. Type the link in the iwebtool Google Banned Checker.

Q. How to spot a good one?
    A. Site is undervalued. Have backlinks and some PR, have good content that is not copied.

Q. How to check for backlinks?
    A. Go to google or yahoo and type link:WWW.website-name.COM or type the link in iwebtool Backlink Checker.
    When I tried it, I think that yahoo has a more accurate result. Both yahoo and iwebtool returned 44,892 backlinks for BAF.

Q. How to check if content is copied?
    A. Enter the URL in copyscape.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Kay you might find some of the tips in this thread helpful.

When buying a site, try to buy one that you can add value to. Maybe you have a good idea of a new way to promote it, maybe you can add a nice new design to it or maybe it is compatible with one of your existing sites. If you can add value to the site in addition to what was done by the seller, you will increase the price that you can sell it for.

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Flipping a web site takes a bit of effort, to make a real one worth flipping.
    Step 1 is to find a good domain name.
    Step 2 is to either write, or have written, 5 to 10 articles on the subject for the domain.
    Step 3 is to get the site layout created, usually something unique.
    Step 4 is to the site itself search engine optimized.
    Step 5 is to get the site map made and submitted to Google and get your site submitted to Alexa, DMOZ, Yahoo, and all other Search Engines.
    Step 6 is to get join the forums in the niche and get some back links built up. You should also use do follow blogs and post comments on them for this.
    Step 7 is optional but you can buy some targeted traffic to be sent to your domain.

Naturally building up a site can take time, 6 to 12 weeks for all the back links to take and show your site in the SERPs.

Then enter the black hat SEO.
    Using programs to automate this, such as xrumer, to build up back links can get the site listed quicker, using a fake hit generator to create the fake stats on the site, and other types of stunts can be used to cut this time down to a mere couple of weeks.

How to avoid a black hat SEO Site.
    Check the creation date of the domain.
    Check the site on Google, do the links look right, or are they a bunch of forum profiles and blog comments. Several hundred back links in a short time will get the site on Google, but, the chance of being de-indexed is very high.
    Do the traffic stats match the age of the site?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Just to add to my earlier post, you should consider the following methods of adding value to a site;

1. Increase revenue by selling ad space, promoting affiliates or selling directly from the site
    2. Improve the site design
    3. Create back links to the site
    4. Add more original content to the site

I know that when I first started buying sites, one of the most important things to me was the revenue potential of the site. I may not have had the skills to earn the revenue but I always wanted to see ways that the site could potentially earn. So a site with clever banner integration (even if those banners weren't currently earning) was more attractive to me than a site that did not display any banners.

Good luck with it and keep please keep us updated and let us know if you have any further questions.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys, thank you all SO MUCH for such detailed posts! :D Absolutely brilliant. I'm letting it all sink in before I start asking questions. Just a few comments for now to add. :)

The black hat stuff I wouldn't consider. I'm just not comfortable with that approach and would prefer to build it up the normal albeit slower way.

Content's the one thing I'm not worried about adding since I write unique articles every day anyway so anything that simply needed that, I could do obviously.

Thanks again, you've all saved me a lot of time there.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might also be worth mentioning two sites that you can buy and sell websites and domains from - these are Sitepoint and Digitalpoint.

From time to time, there would also be someone selling websites and domains in Hostbidder - BAF's sister site.

9. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

dnforum.com, ebay, and namepros.com are places to sell also.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you both! There was a site I came across the other day I was going to ask about that did domains and websites but the name's slipped my mind now. It'll come back to me. I'd rather go by your recommendations anyway as to what's best. Thanks again!