Flash in SEO??

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by infobanc, Dec 10, 2012.

1. infobanc

infobanc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can I use Flash in a way that won't interfere with my SEO strategy?

2. sherlynjames

sherlynjames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Flash website are not been crawl by the google.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

That is probably why infobanc asked the question, but your post does not answer it, and the information you did provide was not expressed correctly.. If you were able to provide a more helpful answer to infobanc, your post should have done so - otherwise, there is no reason for it.

Although websites that are primarily are not crawled by the search engines because there is little content for them to read, that doesn't mean that Flash has to be avoided entirely. It depends on what Flash is being used for. Although it ca be used to create graphics that look cool, and may impress people who are fascinated with things that technology can do, that's not the reason a website owner wants visitors. Website owners want visitors who are interested in buying their product or service. Before using Flash, ask yourself if the information being provided can be provided in a more search engine friendly way. If so, you should consider not using Flash, unless there is no other way to provide the information.
    Flash does not have to be avoided entirely. As long as the majority of the content provided can be crawled, and understood, by the search engine's bots, then Flash can be used on the webpage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nagavenkata

nagavenkata
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why not make use of meta tags to help search engine crawlers to read the information of your flash websites. Using the meta tags like keywords and description in each page of your website will help search engines crawl.

5. Angelina786

Angelina786
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree but may be other search engines like Yahoo, Bing, AOL etc.

6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The problem:

1. Adobe is give up flash, website which implement flash work may facing lot of error, security issue and lack of support from Adobe.
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/10/technology/adobe_flash/index.htm

2. Flash content is not support in i-device, user may switch to competitor site which is mobile friendly.

3. Flash content is slow, Google use site speed as SERP metric.

Are you willing to ignore above problem? If yes, you are welcome to continue flash development.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Flash-based websites are becoming more important and popular on the Internet. Sadly, Flash websites are not exactly SEO-friendly. there has been recent good news about Google improving the crawling and indexing of Flash content..

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you have reference with more info on that? My own observation suggests that there are less websites using Flash, however that may just be because of the type of sites I visit.

9. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Due to incompatible with i-Device, flash demand is keep dropping. SEO friendly is just not the main issue, there are many company don't know and don't care about SEO.

10. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google's indexing Flash and Flash developers can rejoice now that their content is SEO-friendly. Flash is not a smart SEO strategy. Flash content is only linked-to by other Flash content wrapped inside shell Flash pages.

11. guptaabhijit318

guptaabhijit318
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Flash is not good for site in SEO. Because flash raise site load time. And most major search engines embrace this factor in algorithm. And another disadvantage, major Google bots have not read flash.

12. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you still think that flash websites isn't any good when it comes to SE crawling, I suggest to research more. Now isn't like before. SE especially Google already has a way to crawl this kind of websites.

Flash websites are really cool. Before I prefer making them rather than the typical HTML website. It's more interactive and flashy. But then, the problem is not a lot of people has a flash player and have to install it to view the website.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jimarmstrong

jimarmstrong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google cannot support the flash website because its image and Google can't read the flash file, it's read only text file so don't try to make a whole website in flash otherwise you cannot get ranking in search engine.