Flash Goals

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by ted bailey, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ted bailey

ted bailey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have recently started using a weekly flash goal model. I focus on 3 goals that I try to accomplish every quarter. Each week I work on an aspect of that goal to get me closer to accomplishing it. Next to each weekly goal I have a 3 color code... red, green and yellow. Red no progress. Green accomplished that weeks goal. Yellow I'm waiting on a third party before I can move forward.

What do you think of this model and how is yours different?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Ted, thanks for joining.

That's an interesting approach to setting goals and monitoring your progress towards achieving them. How is it working out for you and how long have you been using that approach?

I use a similar approach myself, with the main difference being that I set daily actions for each goal. Plus I don't have any "yellow" - either the daily action is completed or it isn't. I'd be concerned that if I had a "yellow" outcome that I'd become to depend on this outcome and start using it too much. Different approaches work for different people.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing your approach with us Ted. I think that your model using 3 colours to indicate your progress is a good one. You might want to add a percentage for these like how many percentage would be for green, red and yellow. To see if you're efficient in accomplishing your goals, your percentage for green should be more than red and yellow combined or more than 50%.

For myself, I don't really have a model but I only have a checklist that I tick for every goal that I've accomplished.

4. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Naz, just curious and would like to know how often do you do this?
    If you do this everyday, that means your goals are milestones or smaller
    goals that are more like to-do actions everyday?

I would like to learn how you do this because I'm thinking of getting a notebook
    to do this as well. :)

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For todo actions, tasks or things that I need to do at work, I usually have put these tasks in Outlook and just tick them when I'm done. Sometimes the due date is within the day or several days after.

Some of my important personal goals are also entered in Outlook but the due date I input is not on a daily basis. It's usually on a weekly or monthly basis.

So to answer your question, I don't set my personal goals daily because to me, this would be too short a time. I do, however, take time at the end of the day to contemplate if I had improved and gotten a step closer to achieving my goals.

7. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yea, I do. :)

I see. I'm using a notebook for this right now. And I will also write
    down my to-do tasks on a piece of paper and put it in front of my laptop
    so that I won't forget them.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I have never used any goal setting formula or method because I believe that when you stop caring about something rather than sticking to some schedule or time-table, your true hidden efficiency works out amazing results.. It has worked for me always till now..:D

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Scifi, if your approach is working for you, that's great and there is definitely no need to change it. As I often say here on BAF, different approaches work for different people and you should use the approach that works best for you.

Personally I need to set goals and use to do lists. If I don't, I find that I get distracted along the way and spend a lot of time on activities that are not bringing me closer to what I want to achieve. Are you so passionate about what you are working on, that you don't suffer from these types of distractions?

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have given it a further thought yesterday & I came to a conclusion that this approach might be working for me because as such I don't have any liabilities & thats why with my care free attitude I can do all these things that I like for eg. MY engineering, MBA studies, Project, Resarch on history, Sci Fiction And these days learning internet as a technology .......:D
    But this approach would not be right for me once I will complete my studies, I guess.:rolleyes:.May be then I may too make a transition to this goal setting exercise....
    I do suffer from distractions but I used to work then for short period of time consistently to cover up losses..!!;)

11. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I find that setting both long term and short term goals serves at least two useful purposes - having goals can move you into action and the goals help you prioritize what you do with your time.

Not everyone works the same, so setting specific goals may unnecessary for a few unusually focused people, but I think that for most people, setting goals will help them achieve more with their life.

12. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same with me. I need to write down what I need to get done for the day and
    put the paper on my table so that I will get reminded of the tasks.
    I found that I get more things done by doing so.

Long term goals will give you the destination where you will end up.
    It is the ultimate place you want to go in your life.

While short term goals will give you the direction where you are heading
    in your life. Your short term goals will serve as the milestones for achieving
    your long term goals.

We need both long term and short term goals in order to be balance and
    achieve greater results in our life.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum, Business Attorney.

Working with a list also helps keep me focused because at anytime I'm confident that I'm working on what I need to be working on, in the knowledge that the other things I need to do are on the list. If I don't have a list, I'm inclined to think about other things that I need to get done, instead of focusing on one particular task at a time.

14. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The same thing goes for me. I'll get more stuff done by writing
    down all my to-do action on a piece of paper and put it somewhere
    I can see often. I guess this helps to remind me of what I need to
    do and hence, do it. :)