Fitness & Nutrition for Business Professionals

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by NateAnglin, Jan 15, 2013.

1. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am curious as business professionals, what are your greatest challenges in regards to fitness and nutrition? What things would you be likely to search for in Google?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've tried running quite a few times but always seem to end up with sore knees and ankles. I've walked a marathon a couple of years ago and now I really want to run one.

When it comes to nutrition I'm most likely to search for foods that would increase my energy levels and foods that are low in iron.

3. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you very much Fergal.

First, you and I need to discuss the whole running thing ;-). Depending on what your goals are I can propose to you a much easier solution than those long running spurts.

Energy, this is a fact and I will absolutely address this in upcoming articles. Thank you for the ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. john_mclaren

john_mclaren
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may look for healthy Yoga tips if you knee or ankle sores. The best thing for the working professional is to look for nutritious food items and do have frequent fruits at a regular interval of two hours as they would not let the blood sugar to rise and also the anti oxidants would eliminate the free radicals thereby making ones immune system and health sound and promising for ones work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nate, I look forward to reading those blog posts.

My goal is to build up to a 5K run this year and a 10K next year, I do it for enjoyment and general fitness and because I eventually want to run a marathon. Hence, I have no real hurry and am prepared to build up very slowly.

I had been building up my walking miles recently and felt that I was ready to start running again. My longest walk was 9 miles at a pace of just over 15 mins per mile, this was without any great difficulty or pain.

I started with a couch to 5K running programme on Monday and walked for about 3 miles, during which I jogged for eight by 1 min intervals with a 90 second walk between each interval. When I finished I felt great and was delighted to be back running again. Unfortunately I woke up on Tuesday morning with very sore knees.

My plan now is to rest for the remainder of this week and then starting from next week do a one minute jogging interval on three days, on the second week two by one minute jogging intervals (again on three days), and keep going with that for eight weeks until I'm ready to start the couch to 5K again.

How does that sound?

6. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

John,

Although this is a new form of thinking, Primal eating (paleo) is the only thing that helps me sustain energy and keeps by blood sugar in check. Grains can have a nasty effect on our glucose, so by eliminating this, I'm able to sustain my energy more naturally. If you don't know much about it it's worth looking in to.

Oh and I agree with you on the yoga. Have you tried Bikram before?

7. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can I be totally honest with you? I don't think that sounds so good. If your knees and ankles are hurting you, your body is giving you the warning sign for a reason. Primally, homo sapiens weren't built to run long distances. We were built to track (walk) long distances and hunt in spurts (i.e. sprinting after prey). Although this is a passion, would it be difficult for you to spend less time running and maybe pick up another passion? If it's something you can't live without, thats fine, but your body may always hurting.

I played semi professional football (American) and loved it, however my body was always beat up. Eventually I made the choice to stop and let my body function as it was supposed to. I really enjoy walking all day long, competing against my Striiv pedometer. 1 day a week I'll do 10 minutes worth of sprints, 2 days I'll do bodyweight exercises (or use DBs), and 1 day a week I'll go to the boxing gym for 60 minutes. I don't do more than 5 hours a week (this includes walking around the neighborhood and stuff of that nature) of exercising.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nate, I appreciate the advice and a couple of people I know personally have given me the same advice about running. I had set myself the goal to run a marathon and even though my body has been telling me for some time that it's not right for me, I've been stubborn and keep trying in the belief that I will do it, even if it takes me a few years. I did some cycling in the past, maybe it's time for me to get up on the bike again and give the running a rest, sometimes it's hard to stop beating a dead horse :)

9. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the breakfast is an essential meal of the day,take oats n sprouts along with milk and juice in morning n then take ur lunch properly and there should be a sufficient gap between lunch and dinner

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to share the essence in very short form.. " Health is Wealth"...

So if you are not healthy, you can not be wealthy because for earning money you have to fit and ready to work..you can not afford to fall ill..

Second thing ..those who do not agree with above....
    If you are wealthy despite not being healthy you can not enjoy your wealth in true form...

Thus too remain healthy, fitness and proper nutrition is a must and prerequisite for any business professional....

11. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know what you mean Fergal. Once you get something in your head it's hard to say STOP and redirect. It's the businessman inside of you. Your relentless drive, sacrifice and risk tolerance says keep going. Your body won't lie to you I can promise you that.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email. I would be be glad to talk more about this as I've had to cope with the business, fitness collaboration for many years.

Have you tried walking more? I know it sounds silly, but it helps on the days you dont hit the weights. I use a pedometer and compete against others. Since the running might be bringing the competitor out in you this may be a good transition. Just a thought :).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nate, that's actually what I've been doing since I had those recent injuries. I've been walking almost every day and once the weather starts getting better I will get out on the bike again. If I do start jogging again it will be very little and I will build up extremely slowly.

13. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just made a thread about going to the gym and I feel this has helped me a lot already in just a few short weeks. I'm more conscious about my diet and am starting to see visible changes. It definitely pays off to have done a little research on the subject before hand to ensure you use proper techniques etc.

Keep us updated on your marathon progress Fergal. Good luck to you! :)

I suppose I would like to run a marathon one day, but it's a lot easier said than done. :p