First impression matters the most

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Nazreen, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you go to a restaurant, sometimes we're served quite a few courses. When the first course is served and it's cold and tasteless, the service is terrible, would you go for the second course? I think not and you'd probably just leave the restaurant.

On the other hand, when you're served the first course, the food is warm, presentation is good, the taste is exquisite and the staff were friendly, then you'll definitely be looking forward for the next course.

When we provide business to our customers, we should take note that first impression matters the most. Our staff, especially our front-line staff, should be trained to provide good and friendly service to our customers. Our products should also be presented in a good way and in such a way that it will catch the attention of our customers.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Companies often pay lip service to the vital impact that their receptionist has on creating a good first impression of the company. Ask them how much they pay their receptionist and you might get a different perspective.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean by "lip service" Fergal? Sorry but I'm not familiar with this term. Maybe we use a different term here in Singapore. Are you referring to the standard script that the receptionist has to recite when he/she answers the phone or when greeting walk-in customers?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the question Nazreen, it's easy to post a phrase that is common in one country and to forget that people from other countries might not be familiar with it.

Paying lip service to something means that the person / business says that they do something but the phrase suggests that they don't actually deliver on their statements. I suppose in a literal sense it comes from the lips only, without follow up action.

In my post above I was suggesting that many companies will say that their receptionist is a very important part of the business, but the fact that they give low pay to the receptionist suggests that they don't act on what they say.

Does that clarify it?

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That expression is not normally used here so I was ignorant of it's meaning. I tried to google "lip service" before I asked that question and came up with a lot of websites offering to enlarge lips. :)

Thanks Fergal. Yes, I understand now what "paying lip service" means. It's an expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction, or simply hypocrisy.

Yes, you're quite right in that regard that companies pay lip service to providing good products and services and usually comes short when it's time to deliver. I can attest to that because I've also been a front-line staff for several years. Sometimes, it feels that we are lying to our customers.

6. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Nazreen for bringing this topic under discussion. This is the common fact that everyone knows. Whenever you're giving exams If you make first page of your examination paper clean and with good handwriting then there becomes the impression with the teachers that checks the papers. And if he finds some rough works in center of page then he can consider it. However, you make rough in the first page and so on then there you're have potential to get less marks although they're right but they're messy.

Whenever you go buy a clothes in a market, then you entered to a shop. The seller of that shop was very friendly and you wanted a T-shirt. Then he started showing up different styles of t-shirt and with different colours and fashion. He lined up at the tables and spoke up in polite voice to buy. Then you are forced to buy seeing his impression. You wanted to buy only one T-shirt but he showed you with different fashion and style T-shirts with colours and showed an interest on the T-shirt that you would like to buy and wear. And you probably would like to visit that shop time and again for your needs.

So, In my view too First Impression if results good it remains good forever, if bad then remains bad forever and there is few chances to result in good.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, first impression really matters. In any occassion, whether it's your first job interview, first day at work, first date with your crush, or anything, it's important the we leave a good first impression. In business, this is also very important especially that nowadays, word spreads very quickly. It's not just word-of-mouth anymore but people are also writing about their good and bad experiences in their own blogs for other people to see.

8. JPolito830

JPolito830
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I took an entire class on communication and how first impressions are extremely important in the business world.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi JPolito830, welcome to Business Advice Forum. Are there any specific tips that you can share with us from that class?

10. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, those tips learned from communication classes are worthly. And the best part is about the first impression to the Business World. So, JPolito830 We all are interested in the new ideas and tips as Fergal.

I believe the tips were really professional ones because they're made with many thoughts of different talented people.

11. JPolito830

JPolito830
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am at work right now...but I still have the textbook at home, so I will post some when I get home!

12. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First impression is something that will hep further. So there is a quotation also, " First impression is the last impression ". Anyways, So everyone should have the first good impression. If you have good begining then you will have good business. Like in the example of Nazreen, if the restaurant would serve the people nicely for many times and if they just fail just one time then it doesn't matter. The people will still belive the restaurant to be better one. But If you fail in the first impression then the people will leave.

13. andrea32145

andrea32145
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's what we called it is a first sight world.

14. ritajones56

ritajones56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First impressions are very important, but I think understanding and forgiving people will give others at least a second chance before they judge them.

15. CLSbrunette

CLSbrunette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First impression is important in placing your business to an advantage but it is even more important to get beyond that first impression and allow a consistency to ensue in your business accomplishment.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good point CLSbrunette. Most companies are just focusing in bringing in new customers and forget about their current ones. You're right, a level of consistency in service including after-sales service is also needed in the business in order to maintain or retain their existing customers.

17. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i completely agree with the importance of first impression.Making a positive first impression will get your future business dealings off on the right foot.Also in today’s global economy, technical skills and an MBA are no longer enough to guarantee the best employment. Companies increasingly look to those men and women who possess social skills and who are also sensitive to interacting with people from all around the world.

18. spare change

spare change
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First impressions do matter. But to be fair with restaurants, I always give them three chances.

I understand the way things go in that business from working behind the scenes, but you cannot count on the majority of your customers feeling the same way and giving you three chances.

In very rare instances, I have been miffed enough to NEVER go back to a place after the first impression.

19. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First impression is really important in business. That is the most important and effective way of attracting customers.

As what I've learned from John Maxwell, many of the business customers are lost due to the bad services of staffs.