Fire or Wait?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by dotcom, Oct 11, 2012.

?

Fire or Wait

Poll closed Oct 18, 2012.
  1. Fire

75.0%
  2. Wait

25.0%
  1. dotcom

dotcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've recently hired a programmer into an intermediate position. He is currently working at another job (an internship) but agreed to work 20 hours per week for my company for a two month transition period, and then full-time starting Dec 1, 2012. After two weeks, he asked to reduce the commitment to 10 hours per week and I agreed to that change.

The problem is that part of the 20 hour commitment were two, one hour face-to-face meetings with me each week. As of today, he has cancelled or re-scheduled five of five meetings, often with just a few hours notice. After four of these, I let him know that I was not happy and that he needed to make our meetings a priority. Last night, he emailed me to say that he had a doctor's appointment in the morning so he would need to work later at his internship and could not meet with me (no apology in the email, just those statements).

Would love some advice on how to proceed. Do I issue a second warning (perhaps written) or do I cut my losses and fire him immediately?

Many thanks.

2. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well to me it almost sounds like he is just trying to lay it off for he doesn't have to do any work. I mean before you fire him I would ask for he work he has completed. Or tell him that you will give him one more meeting to meet up with you before you decide to go elsewhere with your business.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont really like the employee who simply promise and then broke the promise in soon future.
    it means that the employee is not understand her/his own capability or/and manage his/her own staff.
    It probably will give me a big problem in future if this happen when deal with customer

• Like Like x 1
  4. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This kind of problem is going on every where... But in this meter we have to think twice before we do anything. You like his work? He finished his work in committed time? If yes than you can try to convince him. Because of one people in future some other employees also do same. Very critical situation for any one. What to do.. Give one final chance.. I also had a face same problem in past.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. onlineswarovski

onlineswarovski
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OH,I understand your troubles, so really bothers you, his work time is too busy, no time with you keep follow up! I think he could really forgot your work, let him make reasonable choice!

• Like Like x 1
  6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I voted to fire the staff, we need our work run smooth, and keep ourself in a happy mood. There is no reason to keep a person create lot of problem and damage the working environment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It may be better to get some professional HR advice here. A poll, if discovered, could seem a little insensitive and indecisive. M.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I voted to wait and here's why.

Let him do what's he's been doing after all. What you can do is WAIT find another programmer you can work with without the person knowing. The person may not be giving priority to his responsibilities at his work to you but it does not mean you will just let that kind of attitude slip away. Warn him now, while looking for his replacement. Once you have found a replacement for him, then you can now start talking to him and firing him in a way that he will know why and where did he went wrong.

You may also consider Mark Taylor's option - which is to seek a professional advice from an HR.

• Like Like x 1