Finding your most important emails first

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, I put important mails on Starred (GMail) and on a different folder than the rest of the mails (YMail).
    There are also times that I use the Search Function in looking for past emails.

3. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's cool, but I don't use any tools. I just skim through and find them myself. :)

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always set up my gmail filters. So facebook bypass my in box and go straight to that folder. They aren't urgent but I need to keep up with stuff happening there (for work stuff).
    All my accounts stuff go straight into accounts.
    Only urgent things I don't want to miss land in my inbox everything else is filtered off into a folder.

It is great to see I have new mail but not have it clog up and cutter my main in box or risk overlooking important stuff.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've un-subscribed from lots of email newsletters and feeds recently, I was simply receiving too many emails everyday and it was impacting on my productivity. Using filters would also be a good help with this. Gmail has such a huge storage capacity that you could keep unwanted emails for future reference and still have lots of space for more.

6. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ooh Fergal I just did a rough count - I have about 1000 unread emails sitting waiting. any of these are alerts and "spy" subscriptions on what others are doing for swipe file headline ideas, pitches, approaches etc that I just have sitting there till I need to scan them for a 'gold nugget"

7. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I go through my email several times a day so that I can filter out all the spam. It makes life easier. I hate checking email once a day and finding 50 useless junk emails.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If I had that many unread emails I would feel the weight of them on my shoulders. They'd be a draw on me as I would be conscious that it was a task that needed some attention from me. I'd much rather have them archived or deleted :)

I used to work like that, but found that it was much too time consuming. By un-subscribing from lots of lists and only checking my emails once or twice per day I became more efficient at my work.

9. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, many thanks to Kay's advice and I now have a good time checking my mails.
    All Facebook mails and other confirmations goes to the Bulk Mailbox, while Paypal payments made to me goes to my other folder and Youtube goes to another.

It's much easier to delete unneeded mails this way unlike not using any filters at all.