Find out who is sending you spam email - Great Tip!

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you are like me you will have concerns about giving out your email address when you complete a form or sign up for an online offer / newsletter. There is a very simple way to keep track of whether or not someone is responsible for sending you spam.

We never share or sell your email address here on Business Advice Forum, but if you wanted to know for sure here's how. Say your email address is [email protected], when giving your email address to BAF, simply add a "+baf" to your email address as follows "[email protected]". Any email sent to [email protected] will still get to you and by tracking emails sent to that specific address you find out exactly who is spamming you. Obviously this works for whatever you put after the + sign.

Even better, if you begin to receive spam emails to say [email protected] you can simply block all emails sent to that specific address.

I came across this tip today courtesy of ShoeMoney, hopefully it helps you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting tip. Will certainly give it a go as there is an ever increasing amount of spam emails flying about.

3. fantanoice

fantanoice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, great tip! I'll definitely keep it in mind!

4. BlipGuy

BlipGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tip. I didn't know it's possible for anyone to track SPAM mails unless the look at some information across the internet. But I'm thinking, are you really sure that we can still get our mails if we use "+" on our email address? Have it been tested?

5. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While this system may sound good, it does (as with everything in life) have a major downside. Alot of spammers use this method in order to create many valid working emails from 1 actual address. I think this only works with gmail aswell (or atleast Gmail is the most used one when it comes to spam abuse). Sites like stopforumspam.com do now take the modified email and work out what the real email is. As you can see on their homepage, some emails are shown like this
    Code:
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    It shows the real one and the modified one they used.

It is still a good way for people to track who is sending them the spam and block it.

6. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Impressive tip. Actually all of us "HATE" spam. We need to get rid of them because in the first place they are not giving any help. I just did it today and I'm going to wait if the spam message will bounce back. I will going to share this to my friends as well. Thanks.