Find a good mentor

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Winterybella, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was doing some business reading recently and was reminded, that entrepreneurs do well to find a good mentor. Many if not all successful business people attribute their success to having a good mentor to guide them through the troubled waters of business. Even in good times having a mentor should be encouraged. Too often many business owners think they can do it all alone. What are your thoughts or experience?

2. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If you are in the USA I would highly recommend score.org. It is a group of retired executives that give back to the community by mentoring small business owners. It's also completely free.

3. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

BA, thank you for the information. I happen to be living in the Caribbean so I don't know it's an opportunity that would be available to me. I did take a quick look at the site and will revisit it when I have some more time to take in everything. I've been saying that forums like this one where you find knowledgeable people willing to share their ideas and offer direction serve as my mentor.

4. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Glad I could help. I bet it's nice and warm down there in the Caribbean :) Maybe when you get some time. Ask specifically what you have a question about or trouble with and I am sure someone in this forum can help guide you.

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A good mentor is definitely a plus. One way to find a mentor is to join business organizations like the local chamber of commerce or participate in groups like a local chapter of a service organization like Rotary International. You will find that many people enjoy helping others become successful in business. The relationship is often treasured as much by the mentor as it is by the person being mentored.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MCDA CCG

MCDA CCG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Winterybella - find a mentor, it is one of the greatest tools you can have in your business arsenal. There are many groups like this one, there are also free services that are offered in various areas. You can also find a company like mine that will come to you to set up mentoring sessions, we do them online via Skype, etc. There are many options out there, find the one that is best for you. We service clients all over the world, and so do many others. Do your research and find the person/company that is a great fit for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just when I was wondering if your company was going to ship me my mentorship you said you have international reach. I was fortunate to find someone here that I see as a mentor. He doesn't know yet:). I'll also check out MCDA to see if I can afford them if necessary.

8. cuppazest

cuppazest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've used this platform called Clarity.fm before to get advice from an expert (on my website). It was a phone call. It was expensive (80 USD) but extremely useful because it got me to make an informed decision and move forward.
    You can check it out here ( there's 20 1:1 calls being given away) - http://iwillteach.co/20-for-30/?ref=kykW17qT

I found this to be more useful because it helped me solve a specific problem for my business. As opposed to some general advice.