Finally grabbing the reins...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by flyingSquirrel, Jun 9, 2012.

1. flyingSquirrel

flyingSquirrel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, my name is Matt and I reside in Washington state, USA. Basically, my whole life (32 years) I've felt somewhat unhappy and have gone wherever it takes me, working for other people in jobs that are not fulfilling and are stressful :( . A variety of things have happened recently that have culminated into my decision to actually take control of my life and do things that make me happy. I have plans to start my own business which incorporates several of my hobbies/passions, and eventually to be able to resign from my current job and live off of that business. I know many have that dream, and it's not easy, but I'm determined to succeed no matter what the challenges are, because I want to wake up every day excited to start work. I'll definitely be posting a lot in the other forum areas for advice and help. Thanks

2. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I absolutely love Washington. Been there for the first time a few months ago and now I want to live there. I hope to have a place there within 5 years.

3. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Matt. So what are those hobbies and passions you're hoping to turn into a career? Perhaps you'll find others here who share them.

4. flyingSquirrel

flyingSquirrel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

sayitproud, thank you for the warm welcome! Good idea to list a few of those hobbies out...maybe there are some others on here...though they are a little off the beaten path...

They involve plants, animals, art, science etc. Basically that all comes together into something that is called a vivarium. A vivarium is an enclosure which houses plants and animals, usually in a naturalistic style. Typically people will keep frogs, lizards, or a variety of other animals in such a vivarium, and landscape it attractively with plants and sometimes water features, etc. A lot of the excitement is often focused on the plants as much as the animals...many people start out keeping poison dart frogs, geckos, etc, then become addicted to rare or unusual plants and orchids. I consider building vivariums to be an art form, as you are trying to take technology, materials, plants, and animals and combine them into something beautiful. This also involves another hobby of mine, photography, because vivariums (and the plants/animals they contain) make excellent photography subjects, and it's a good way to display them to people who cannot be there in person to enjoy them. I have a lot of other ideas about how I am going to combine all of this, and I'm sure things will require tweaking and evolution, but I am very sure that my path must involve these things in order to be truly happy. Attached is an image of one of my tanks, this one is called a paludarium, because it has land and water sections. Hope you enjoy it...

p.s. the pic quality is degraded when I uploaded it for some reason :(

View attachment 1280