Feedback Needed!

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by 50Cent, Aug 6, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent when someone first visits your website you only have a few short seconds to capture their interest, or they will move on to another site. The most obvious content on the first page of your site is;

There isn't much in that, which clearly explains what you do and that makes me want to know more about your site. You need to add a slogan or heading to your site that makes what you do very obvious. Perhaps a slogan that describes the design services you offer might help.

The heading / name of your site is a little difficult to read. Splitting up the two words, i.e. putting a space between them, would make it easier - Jovin Graphics.

It would also be good to see some of your designs on your home page, with a link below them, saying something like "Click Here for More" or even just "More".

Once you have done all that, it will be time to concentrate on your call to action - a statement that encourages your visitors to place an order or to contact you for a quotation. But you should probably concentrate on the other stuff first.

Good luck with it.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The name is combined - Jovingraphics.

Can i also do SEO on a free wordpress blog?

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. definitely, you can.

Here's my review on your portfolio:
    TEMPLATE: The site seems to be plain. For me, it doesn't look like a design portfolio. It lacks all the aspects regarding graphic design since there's no design on the template and you can't clearly see any design at all at first glance.

HEADER/LOGO: I agree with Fergal on this. It needs a better header. Since you are a designer, you can showcase your designing skills on this part. Seeing that you created your own logo/header on your portfolio, it will surely make your visitors get interested to use your services.

BLOG: This one needs to be improved. But honestly, I don't think it's needed at all since this is a portfolio site, not a blog. :) Maybe you can just put here when is your portfolio last updated, or something similar to that.

ABOUT PAGE: I think this one also needs improvement. I really can't tell what's needed to be done. Try to visit some other portfolio sites and read their about page for some ideas.

OVERALL: I know you can improve this one so that you can get more future customers. You can try out some free eye-catching pre-made templates available and modify it according to your tastes. But remember, be sure to showcase your design on the first page so that visitors will browse more on your portfolio.

Hope these comments help you.

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Gekdan. For what you have said, i can really do on a free wordpress blog.
    Unless, i get my free hosting for it.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent getting your own domain name and hosting would help a lot. Is that something you plan on doing?

7. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah. Now waiting for the person to give me my hosting. But i will have a lots of problems.

8. WebWizard

WebWizard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Looks like a nice portfolio and alot of good feedback here.

9. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks! I have replied your Pm.

10. krispykreme

krispykreme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice portfolio.. soo neat!

11. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks! Now getting my own host up.. will post the new link soon.

12. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal's comments. The front page doesn't sell what you do. It actually puts an added action into the process for visitors to access what they need to see... not a smart thing to do.

If your home page is going to promote new portfolio updates, then put that update right there on the home page with a link to your full portfolio entry. In other words, make it easier for visitors -- and potential clients -- to SEE what you do: fire your biggest guns first!

Getting your own domain name and cPanel hosting (with Fantastico scripts installer) will definitely give you more control -- including your own email addresses, your own blog, forum, ecommerce, etc.

Alarm bells start sounding loudly for most people when they see a business using a hotmail address. Even Google's g-mail would be better than any other free email addresses. Your email address lacks credibility when it's at a free service like hotmail or yahoo! mail.

I realize that hosting, even though the monthly fees can be very low, can be an obstacle for young entrepreneurs because you typically have to pay in advance for at least a year to get those low rates, but here's a suggestion: if you know other people or businesses who want hosting for their own sites, consider getting yourself a reseller account with someone like HostGator. For less than US$25 a month you can re-sell space on your own shared server, with full facilities, free scripts and installers, etc. You'd need very few clients to cover the full amount -- and your own hosting is then free!

I actually host more than 100 domains of my own on a reseller account, plus four or five small business sites for clients, whose sites I design and manage. So not only do I get all of my own sites hosted at no charge, I make a real profit every month on the client hosting.

The reason I recommend HostGator.com is because of these important factors:

1. They have the best customer service of any web hosting provider, no contest. Live chat (with DOZENS of tech support staff) is available around the clock, free of charge, and you can have transcripts emailed to you for future reference.

2. They have over 400 video tutorials, all branded with YOUR logo, name, etc, that you and your hosting clients can use at any time (example: http://tutorials.profitclinichosting.net).

3. They offer both cPanel and Plesk admin software, Fantastico script installer and more than 4,500 excellent web site templates for you and your customers to use, all included in your hosting fee.

There are more, but I think you probably get the idea by now.

Think entrepreneurially. You'll find better solutions that way, and enjoy better results. :)

John

13. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok guys.. now i have my website set-up, other than showing people me portfolio designs , any ideas what i can do in the homepage? like what should i post other than updates my website.

Help please. THanks!

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is your site's link still the same as the one you posted above and in your sig?

15. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry i forgot to post the new link.

Here you go: http://jovingraphics.webrdy.com/
    I have brought a .com domain still under changing.

Once you enter the website, i have the portfolio page as the homepage. But now i have a problem, if i have the home button appearing in the navigation bar it will show the portfolio page not the posts page so i removed it.

Now i need to have a idea on how to show my posts? I am thinking of using the recent comments on the sidebar to let visitors know it. Will it work?

More comments to come please thanks!

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great improvement there 50cent.
    Here are some of my additional suggestions:

You need to change the permalink to your post to your post title:
    From http://jovingraphics.webrdy.com/?page_id=2, make it http://jovingraphics.webrdy.com/about.
    This could be easier for search engines to find your site and include yours on searches that includes those keywords.

Logo/Banner:
    I would suggest you to change the tagline "Just another wordpress site" or just remove it.

Recent Post:
    That widget is not giving you recent posts, but it's giving you Recent Comments, as far as I can see.

Other than that, it's good to go.:D

17. hetal_387

hetal_387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all Congo buddy for getting your own domain.. Which is really nice forward step.

Yes, You can do lot many things with your website now:
    (1) Start with "On-Page SEO" to your site. That is Adding Title-Meta and keywords. It is very important to do.
    (2) Yes, you can add comments in left navigation if you want
    (3) Try to add few more pages like Gallery having more T-shirt designs, about us, contact us etc..
    (4) Try to design professional attractive logo if possible.
    (5) I think your home page that is just url should contain all your post and portfolio page should be just stand alone static page, that is what I believe.
    (6) Try to get some attractive template which suits your site theme.

Hope This may help you.

18. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Need more to come!

19. colton1237

colton1237
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot for your great informative post.

20. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it a comment?