Fast or Slow

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've heard a motivational speaker recently talk about how we can improve our lives by taking things slowly and calmly, so as to keep our heart rates low and reduce our stress levels. Perhaps by chance, I also came across an article recently, which encouraged readers to maintain a slower pace of work and life.

These views contrast with the approach of working hard and fast, to move closer to your goals and get as much done as possible, in a short space of time.

So what do you think, fast or slow? Which approach works best for you, taking it easy and slow or working fast to get as much done as possible?

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It varies by person.
    I used to be able to work like a demon, running through everything rapidly.
    Now, I find a slower steady pace is better. I get more done now slowly, as it seems age is catching up to me and, even with a list, I miss steps.

My older brother doesn't seem to have this issue, and works like he's a crazed man, being 10 years my senior.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For myself, it would be slower. If I do things slower and in a calm and relaxed way, I tend to do more work and finish faster. The reason for this is that I will tend to make less mistakes and be able to work more efficiently. Doing things in a fast pace is also bad for my asthma.

4. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

slow and steady wins the race
    i got into webmaster filed for past one year back ....and i am getting success now
    during this periode i learnt many thing .If i dint know thing things and started my blog or website i would have faced biggest failure in my life

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In today's competitive world a crucial competency factor is time edge. So it does not matter whether you works slow or faster..But what matter is that even your slow speed is also faster that your competitor otherwise there is no use of working slow...!!!:)

6. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You should consider error rate in there too. My competitor can work 3x as fast, but, if he makes more errors I win.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Slow and steady would appear to be the way of BAF members. It is also important to be purposeful and have focus. If you are slow and steady, are focused on your work, continue to improve over time you can achieve great things over time.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, error rate should always be considered, otherwise there is no use of working fast...I will henceforth lay emphasis on practice your task with perfection which will increase your speed naturally while reducing error rate to min.
    Thus specialization is what in demand in today's world however I can not neglect the importance of multitasking too.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd have to agree that regular practice will definitely increase the pace of doing your work and at the same time, making you more efficient. But I still think that there should be a limit and we shouldn't be working in a fast pace all the time. If you do, your health - physical and mental, will be affected because of the stress. It's important that we still rest and slow down.

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is very important point bring out in the limelight by you , Nazreen...Working at fast rate have sometimes give rise to health concerns or problems..So it is much better to maintain the pace sometimes you have to give your body a rest little bit so as to make itself acquire sufficient energy to start working again..It is the same way as you give time to sharpen your axe in between cutting a tree to work at the same pace ...:)

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We shouldn't overestimate how much we can achieve with just very small improvements over time. When starting something, e.g. a new sport or a new language, it is not essential to rush into it straight away. If you become just a little bit better every day you will be amazed at how much you can achieve in a year.

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely as said by Fergal, developments & changes come slowly & for such a thing practice is must.>..But sometimes it is necessary to meet deadlines and in that case if you will not finish your work with the pace required , after time completion will be of no use..At the same time it might be true that wrong submission due to tendency of making an error can still be of no use..But atleast then you have a chance to rectify your mistakes or maybe it might be possible that you get it all right,,the whole thing is that sometimes pace is necessary in this competitive world & at times you have to get yourself in slow mode to maintain that pace,....(Slow+Steady)+(Pace-error)= Smart Work!!!!:)

13. msaadw21

msaadw21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe in slow and steady work. If we are fast and run after the work or money, the money will run from us.

I have experienced, that slow and steady is good for long term instead of going fast.

14. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me,

It depends totally upon condition.

When you're late to complete your books and exams tomorrow, definately you've to boost your reading skills to study overall topics. That means fast.

When you're having alot of time home, go to important seminar at 5 o'clock and you've days left. Probably slow pratice to avoid your seminar speech being failure and indeed more effective.

15. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will depend on the condition, If it's time to get things to be done quickly then we need to work fast. If the condition is normal, Slow and steady will win the game.

16. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm too slow sometimes but that's because I'm very meticulous with anything I do. I also tend to go off at a tangent. I prefer slow but probably work better under a little pressure than when I have none.

One of the articles at The Cuckleburr Times was about being a deadline junkie and there are days when I wonder if I'm guilty of that, where I do my most productive work if a deadline is close.

As Deadman pointed out, it can depend on the circumstances.

I often put things to one side that I want to give my undivided attention to before tackling and end up with lots of things that need intensive study. It would probably be better on my nerves if I wanted to "wing it" the ways others do, but that's just not my style. I'd rather not do something at all and put it on the back burner than rush through it.

Good thread! :)

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting point. Some people become addicted to urgent tasks and crises, and there is always urgent stuff if you are looking for it. However, to be effective it is the important stuff that we should be dedicating our time to.

18. ibionika

ibionika
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really hard question when you think about it seriously. Guess its a good thing we dont have to decide for ourselves.

If I was below middle age then Id want a slow death but beyond that a fast death would be easier imo.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Ibionika.

The question was't really about death, but I somehow think I'd prefer a fast death regardless of age. I would like some warning and time to say goodbye to everyone and sort out my affairs, but a slow death sounds painful.

20. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I my self is involve in many business activities
    First my aim was to earn fast and thick, which leads me no where... I worked with few associate and deliver them work without checking their background, I had to pay a big time for that.... Fast and thick doesnt get to any where..........!
    For me go slowly and steadily. Now I am working nicely with my business associates.

SLOW AND STEADY WIN THE RACE.