Family Restaurant Business problems

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by endabuser, Jul 4, 2014.

1. endabuser

endabuser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I need some advice regarding my family restaurant business
    The restaurant is currently being run by 2 sisters.
    My mother has 51 shares and the 2 sisters have the remaining shares but sister 1 has one more (I think) than sister 2
    Sister 1 is jack of of all trades and works non stop while sister 2 just works her shift and that's all.
    Sister 1 lives on site, is on call all the time and if she left the place would close in a week. She does even more since my father passed away 5 years ago.
    Sister 2 could stay home and make no difference.
    Sister 2 has had a hate on for sister 1 for years for no apparent reason and they have been avoiding each other for years.
    Sister 1 tries to talk as a friend but sister 1 has 'F*** you' attitude.
    Recently she has gotten much worse -my wife (working part time waitress) quit because she can't work with her.

My question is...
    Should the family intervene?
    Can we?
    The remaining 3 family members do not have shares but I am thinking that since my mother is not involved in running the business and we don't want to stress her, I was wondering if it would be a smart move for her to give up her shares to the remaining 3 family members.
    My mother (mid 80's) doesn't make any decisions on the business and would accept advise from us if it makes sense. It wouldn't make any difference to her financially since she gets no income from the business anyway. Dad left her majority shares when he died and she plans to give them to us when she dies.
    My thinking is that we could meet as a family and decide what is best but I don't know legally who would have power to make decisions.

2. Express

Express
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. Do everything you can otherwise you can watch it eventually fall apart.

A bad person can be a cancer to a business. Good Luck!

3. Aleena

Aleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    I think you all need to settle down and arrange a meeting with all the members talk about their working hours etc. Do something before the things get worst. If things get better then it's best. Good luck!

4. hostsailor

hostsailor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Talking first and discussing everything openly is the first step, give it a try then another try, if it doesn't change then intervene if needed.

5. SConsultant

SConsultant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Find their strengths and try to delegate a part of duties accordingly. They will love the success and want more - motivation.

6. RoseAb

RoseAb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The one that is doing everything for the restaurant, ask her what she wants to do.
    Maybe she already has a good idea or maybe she wants to leave it alone for now.
    Otherwise, maybe your intervening would make it worse for her instead of better.