Facebook Users, Please READ

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by GekiDan, May 15, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is one of the best and fastest growing social networking sites, where you can gain friends, reunite with old friends and relatives, and even play some flash games to kill time.

Recently, Yahoo Finance posted things that you should prevent from doing to keep your identity and account protected. And here they are:

• Using a Weak Password
    • Leaving Your Full Birth Date in Your Profile
    • Overlooking Useful Privacy Controls
    • Posting Your Child's Name in a Caption
    • Mentioning That You'll Be Away From Home
    • Letting Search Engines Find You
    • Permitting Youngsters to Use Facebook Unsupervised
    You can read the full article on the link I posted above.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't understand why youngsters under 13 are even on Facebook if the official rules say 13 and older. The reason the rule's in place is so that Facebook doesn't need to comply with COPPA which protects younger children online. Not only is Facebook in the wrong if they know it happens and they turn a blind eye to it, so are the parents! They're risking that child being targeted by a predator. Facebook should be getting their butts kicked over that. Disgraceful.

Thanks very much GekiDan. I tweaked a few of my settings.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lolz. having a real name on your profile is actually enough for predators to hurt.
    i remember the case where an inmate who actually bullied his victim over facebook

4. alenbillo2346

alenbillo2346
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Facebook Muslim readers are so angry on Facebooks step to attack on Muslims religion.Facebook is a public place so i can not understand why they take this step & also going against his terms & policies.I hope Facebook can really loses his publicity in Muslim countries.

5. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the warnings are right as now Facebook has become a place where you can meet everyone and there's a lot of crime in some social networks all over the country.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean? I can't seem to understand your post?
    Does that mean Facebook is racist?

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

He's referring to the uproar over this, which has now spilled over to include YouTube as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/05/20/pakistan.mohammed.day.facebook/index.html

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not in Pakistan, apparently.

In fairness I do think those Facebook pages are juvenile and deliberately being inflammatory. However I'm with Voltaire (who's attributed with this quote) : "I disapprove of what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's sad. No freedom for speech. :(
    Well, to be honest, there are fan pages that's really not good and contains flaming words. But instead of blocking Facebook, they could've just reported it to the admins and have a certain country blocked access to it.

11. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

incredibly hilarious case I must say..

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why would you describe it as "hilarious"? A prisoner bullying someone over the Internet, doesn't sound funny at all.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal. These things must not be "for the laughs" but taken seriously.

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I second that! Bullying is a serious issue and is becoming more common on the net because of the perceived anonymity of it. It was only in January a beautiful young Irish girl, Phoebe Prince, committed suicide here because she was being taunted not just at school but on Facebook. Six teenagers are facing felony charges now related to her suicide. And if there is any justice, the teachers that turned a blind eye should face charges of some kind too. Internet bullying's being cracked down on over here and I hope other countries that haven't already done so follow our lead.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, have you also rea about the news that some guy murdered his girlfriend because she allegedly changed her status from "in a relationship" to Single." Same thing also happened in Twitter before.

I just read about this article earlier. Seems to be really disturbing...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/02/number-of-crimes-involvin_n_522918.html

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Blaming the Internet and Online Companies for Online Crime?

Does anyone else find it a little strange, how the Internet gets blamed for it's role in crime?

People send threatening letters and even letter bombs, but no one seems to blame the postal system. Fixed line phones and mobiles are used to organise and help perpetrate a huge amount of crimes, including major international terrorist incidents - yet people don't blame the phones or the phone companies. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that when people use the Internet with criminal intent, there are groups and organisations who are very quick to blame the Internet and individual online businesses.

What's your opinion on this?

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can't be helped Fergal. It's the mode wherein the crime is done, although they cannot held the owner of the site liable to any problems since it is a public site. Right?
    Honestly, I don't blame the internet or any social networking sites for any crimes done through them. But there are many people who misuse the internet to do crimes like these.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I suppose that's my point. People don't blame phones or telephone networks when they are used to commit a crime, but they are very quick to blame the Internet in general or a particular social networking site.

Not always true, if the site owner allowed the crime or abuse to continue and did not take action to stop it, they can be help accountable. A recent example is the three Google Execs who got six month suspended sentences in Italy, as a result of a case involving an abusive video on Youtube - Italy Convicts 3 Google Execs in Abuse Video Case.

19. Bubblez

Bubblez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do agree with what you're saying and I'm glad you have let all of us know. However, I use the internet to promote my writings and I want people to know my real name. Is it dumb? maybe, but I want to get more known.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You should be OK with letting people know your real name, if you are an adult and you are careful not to reveal other identifying information.