Facebook & Twitter

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Barney, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Barney

Barney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What advantages is facebook and twitter to a business or organisation. How much effort and cost would it be to join them and what benefits should I expect from been a member of them.

2. Mikey

Mikey
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Designer

Twitter drives traffic to your site, and is free, you just need to gain a decent followerbase.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook: You can create a fan page about your website or forum. On the fan page, you can post updates or the activitly on your forum /website daily. Facebook also allows you to customize your fan page, which means that you can even ask designer to design it for you in a way that it will attract attention. You also need a decent amounts of likes.

Twitter: Twitter also allows you to customize your twitter page, you can ask a designer to design a background according to your website/forum genre. On twitter, you can also post updates or activitly on your forum /website daily. You also need a decent amount of followers to drive traffic to your site like what mikey said.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As the name suggests, social media is a method of interacting with your (potential) target market on a 'social' platform. It allows you to interact with your target market and develop relationships with your followers.

How you choose to use it will depend on your business and your personal style, but it has the potential to help you provide better customer service, gain more feedback from your customers, achieve free advertising, offer and promote special offers, drive sales and pick up new product and service suggestions directly from your target market.

How much effort?
    That's down to how much time and effort you're willing to invest into them.

If you're not willing to invest sufficient time into them (or any other medium, social media or otherwise) and you don't use them correctly, then you shouldn't expect any meaningful results from them (or if you do expect results, you won't get them). If you measure results in terms of 'direct sales' only, again, you might not achieve the returns you want via social media.

How much cost?
    That will depend on how you want to present your business (e.g. custom themes and pages), how much of this you can do yourself and how much you'll need to outsource. If you do outsource, the costs can vary hugely depending on what type of customization you require and who you outsource your work to (cheap doesn't always mean value, but expensive doesn't always mean quality either).

If you're happy to use standard default themes on the pages and simply 'brand' them by uploading a logo, you can do it for zero outlay cost other than the time you choose to invest. There are numerous free tools that even help speed up the whole thing and make 'keeping up to date' even easier. Even then, you need to ensure that the return you are getting from the efforts makes the time you're investing 'worth it'. Measuring this however is extremely difficult, as many of the benefits (exposure, branding, etc.) are intangible.

The benefits you get will ultimately depend on your ability to use the medium and the efforts you go to to use them fully. Twitter or Facebook won't help your business, but your ability to use Twitter or Facebook has the potential to be a huge benefit to your business. It's not about the platform, it's about your ability to use it.

5. TheEntreprenette

TheEntreprenette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent post above.

Ensure you have a clear strategy as SM can eat up so much of your valuable time. You can get amazing results with a clear strategy.

I'd suggest that you spend a day researching more before making any decision, there are plently of decent videos on youtube.

Regards

Jo

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This video gives a good overview of the importance of social networking for business.

[YOUTUBE]lFZ0z5Fm-Ng[/YOUTUBE]

8. Barney

Barney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks very much paul your comments were a great help, amd thanks to eveyone else who contributed.

9. borisfowler

borisfowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One thing to keep in mind with social media is that is about how you engage the people that follow you. Also, with social media, the ad spending revenues are increasing dramatically. If you are not spending money on ads for social media, you are not maximizing what social media can do for you. I have recently been putting together a list of resources regarding social media. Here is the link to many references and articles on social media.

http://www.caycon.com/resources.php?g=11

10. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social Media had gone a long way in driving traffic. They are sure to be very effective in reaching your potential targets. Facebook and twitter are both good, though they differ in method, they are important factors to help you attain your goal virtually.

11. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not the actual site that needs to be considered, it's how you approach using the site. I could create a Facebook page and do nothing with it. Does that show any advantages? Not really, but if I decide to market that page, then I'm in a chance to really succeed with it. For a business, assuming not online, I think it's paramount to have a website for your business. I recently read (though can't remember) a blog post where the question was whether to create a Facebook page only or a website utilizing the Facebook page. Though I wish I still have the link, the main point was that you can do whatever with your own website and utilize web 2.0 advertising sites, like Facebook, to promote your business.

Assuming you can market your page, thus your website, if you choose to make one, Facebook is very viral, like YouTube videos. One you hit the viral stage, you don't need to do any more than site back and watch your followers increase. One thing you should do is to create a personal account and gain followers off that, and then link them to the business page. The great thing about Facebook is that it's full of links. When you follow a person or fan a page, a link on your page will say something like "David likes Barney's Business" etc. If you send a link to all your followers, they will see that link. Usually, if they are genuinely your friends, they will like that link back, or fan your page. Then your link appears on their profiles and so on, and the process begins, but this time with more links than you started off with. Then their friends sees that link and possibly follows and then their friends will see the new link.

An eBook I have notes that once you reach the 1000-5000 friends stage, then you should create a page. By then, your page will be seen by about 1000*300 (assuming 300 friends of your friends) = 300,000 people. The general conversion rate is about 5-10% traffic, so if you have 10,000 followers on your business page, you will get about 500-1000 uniques per day for your business. Then, that's why a business website is so important. You would want that traffic to be useful, so a good business website is essential. You already have information on your Facebook page, but this time, having an added website will get the message across.

Both Facebook and Twitter are free of membership. The hard part is the effort in promoting that page, however, nothing comes easy on the Internet (unless you're famous). It just depends on how much time you want to spend on promoting a page that could become useful. Would you want to spend time on promoting and maybe get results? It really depends on how you see your site going. Good luck.

12. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really really recommend using Twitter. And not only that but make sure you add your maximum number of followers every day. Then, after a few days, if they havent followed you back, unfollow them.

That way you won't be caught out by the 2000 following limit.

You can make it much easier by using software like TweetAdder or Tweetsbot.

13. rikumac

rikumac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have found that twitter works great if you have a lot of followers

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Twitter Karma is another service that can be very helpful with that.

15. borisfowler

borisfowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tweetdeck

TweetDeck is a great way to merge your social media platforms. Social media can be quite consuming especially if you are new at it. It is best to try to limit time spent on these platforms. Remember, these will not directly impact your sales, but rather your online presence. Make sure you maintain a good balance. Balance is the key to everything.

16. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While I agree in theory with what is trying to be said there, it needs to be given in context.

The time spent on these platforms needs to be limited to where it is producing a positive return, not simply 'limited' full stop. If you're getting a return for the time you're putting in (above a return you would achieve on any other platform, online or offline), cutting back obviously isn't beneficial.

Social media can and does impact on direct sales. It can play a major role in boosting sales. However, it shouldn't be the only end goal of any social media campaign. Social media is all about interacting with customers, gaining customer trust and getting information about the company out there to targeted customers. Doing this only trying to impact on sales probably/commonly won't provide a positive result, but an increase in sales should be considered when looking at the benefits of social media.

17. 50dolars

50dolars
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

It is great for small and medium companies. Advertising is good for the company's image

18. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thnx for ur questions.I'm trying to promote my site on facebook and twitter.some points helped.keeping sharing with us ur ideas about facebook and twitter marketing!