Facebook sued over Timeline trademark, delays public launch

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Jerlene, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is being sued by Chicago-based website Timelines.com for trademark infringement and redirection of the aforementioned company’s Facebook page to the social network’s new Timeline feature.

Timelines.com claims that Facebook’s use of the word Timeline will cause confusion and ultimately lead to the demise of their business. The site allows users to create virtual timelines based on historical events such as famous deaths and great sports moments.

Read more here: http://www.techspot.com/news/45732-facebook-sued-over-timeline-trademark-delays-public-launch.html

2. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everyone now just want to earn from Facebook. They are all just finding out more and more ways to do so. Firstly, how can government allow a general term to be trademarked? I mean, sure Timeline is a general used word and they should not be allowing that to be trademarked.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

"Timeline" is a phrase that is used in everyday life, it seems bizarre that they would have a case against FaceBook for using a word like that. It will be interesting to see how the case goes.

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook surely seems to be going to win this case as it seems that there was some mistake by the authorities in assigning trademark for this work. They will surely have all of there attorneys busy this weekend.

5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How so? That's what they registered as a trademark so that's what they got. There was no mistake made. There are a lot of common words and phrases that are or have been trademarked. "That's Hot", "Apple", "Time", "Shell" and "Caterpillar" all fall under that category.

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd agree, there are a lot of agreed trademarks that probably fit the 'everyday' word description. I heard about this yesterday and thought it was the timeline itself they had trademarked, not the word?

7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

since the government allowed it and is now a trademark and have documents to prove it then i guess timelines.com will win.
    however it sure is unfair.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Trademarks of generic terms are only allowed apply to businesses unrelated to the term. For example a company can (obviously) trademark the term "Apple" as it applies to computer and music products. However, a business would not be allowed to trademark the term "Apple" as it applies to the fruit. Ditto for "Shell" it can be trademarked for a business selling petrol and oil but not by a business selling shells. That's largely why I believe FaceBook will win, well that combined with the fact that they will have the best legal team.