Facebook selling personal information!

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Jerlene, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There have been information that Mark Zuckerberg, owner of Facebook, has been intentionally collecting personal information and selling it for money. Also, he has been reported to have used private login information to hack into peoples' e-mail accounts. Here are links to information about the claims:

http://www.businessinsider.com/well...s-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-facebook-was-founded-2010-3
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/
    http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/63382...ers-dumb-fux0rs-for-trusting-data-to-facebook

What do you guys think about this? Do you think there's any truth to the stories or do you think it's just gossip? If it is true, will you stop using Facebook?

2. BoBo_184

BoBo_184
    uix_expand uix_collapse

anything is possible... the best practice is to not put too much information on facebook or any social networking site... if you don't want someone to see something, the best thing is not to post it...

there is a law in the US that gives government agencies power to access information on any server located in the US, which means CIA, FBI, NSA etc could be accessing fb's servers on a regular basis and we wouldn't know about it

3. dollartycoon

dollartycoon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With all the information power he has, I'm sure it can be tempting. I agree and have always been a proponent of exercising restraint on what personal information you put on websites.

To be quite honest, I was not a big fan of the friendster, myspace, facebook, twitter or any web 2.0 social site. Call me old school.

4. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mark Zuckerberg is a businessman and if something can be sold for big money why not sold it? and get big money?

5. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

Does this surprise you, or anyone else? Facebook's privacy standards have been questionable for a long time. Google as well for that matter. But since the masses have "drunk the Kool-Aid", it will be some time before it all comes to a head. Even though web-based apps and features are convenient, the opportunity for privacy abuse is far too tempting for those who stand to make millions from it. That is why it's extremely important to protect yourself online as much as possible.

I don't use Facebook or any social networking sites. The only web-based thing I use is Gmail, and not 100% willingly.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd be a little sceptical, at a minimum I'd say the quotes are taken out of context. You don't get to be world's youngest self made billionaire by being an idiot.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believed that it can be true but i'm still using facebook, what i did is not putting too many personal information or P&C information on it

8. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is interesting news. I have question. If he was caught selling information would he be breaking any laws or would it just be a very bad PR/ business move on Facebook's part. I have never been a big fan of Facebook but they sure do have access to a lot of information. Even target GEO advertising has to be a some what questionable practice as they are leveraging personal information there as well. It is no surprise companies will try to capitalize off there date regardless of ethics but who knows what is true in this case since there does not seem to be any hard facts just yet.

9. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I don't think so about this one,I think it's just a gossip.I am a Facebook user and I will believe in this if it really happens to me.

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as we don't put information in our profile, we won't have to worry about facebook's privacy. I usually use my secondary email for things like this..

11. Greslet

Greslet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are a few basic rules.

1) Dont use the same password on Facebook as you do on email or online banking etc (its worth having different passwords for forums and blogs too)
    2) Never give your date of birth to facebook or a forum. If the date is insisted upon put in something close but incorrect.
    3) Avoid giving out personal street address online
    5) Think of other ways info can be gathered about you. For exampl If you are into things like family history, be aware that giving out your mothers maiden name could be risky, many banks etc use this as a security question.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kundansingh

kundansingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thats why i have stop using facebook :)

13. millerg78

millerg78
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There must be some truth behind this. It depends on how much personal information we are willing to share on Facebook.

14. Jasmine

Jasmine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think maximum peoples are not shared their personal information at any social media website. It is a business and owners can do every thing to get more money. I am agree with sigma.

15. Jasmine

Jasmine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think maximum peoples are not shared their personal information at any social media websites. It is a business and owners can do every thing to get more money. I am agree with sigma.

16. WarStopper

WarStopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting news to see. Thanks for the share. I think I will be reading into this more. I find it strange how this never makes new programme's though?