Facebook owner donates $100M to schools

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Kay, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's always nice to see money being given to a good cause by the very wealthy. No doubt cynics will say it's for tax purposes rather than him doing it out the goodness of his heart, but does it matter as long as the kids get the benefit? I don't think it does.

Article

2. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've always liked this guy, glad to see he is donating money to help move education forward. Too many celebrities and major companies today are too greedy to donate a cent.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's great news, good for him, it's an extremely generous donation and will go a long way to improve the education system in Newark.

The donation might save him some tax, however the tax saving will be less than $100 Million. Although, the net cost to him of the donation might be less than $100 Million, it will still cost him a lot to make the donation. He is giving away a lot more than anyone who will criticise him for it, so I wouldn't be inclined to take their criticisms seriously.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a good thing that the Facebook guy donates some of his earnings to a school in need.
    Hope he could continue this as the years go by.

5. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice to hear that somebody can donate so much money. I really admire such people as they are ready to share.

6. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A lot of successful people will tell you that the more they give (i.e. when they are comfortable, this is not advice for those hard up) the more they get. I'm sure most have heard of this concept as "tithing".

Nice story. Usually it's bad news that sells, at least this is a piece of good news which will interest most.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Neither would I. And with Facebook being valued at about $33.7 Billion currently maybe he'll do it all again on an even bigger scale when that 2012 IPO happens! :)

8. privilegeserver

privilegeserver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Regardless of his motives, it's nice to see someone of serious means making a serious donation.

9. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also heard Facebook will be working to provide education on the site as well