Facebook Hopes Users Will Pay to Promote Posts

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Jerlene, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So Mark Zuckerberg and the rest of the Facebook clan are hoping people will start to pay to promote their status updates after implementing the new advertising feature yesterday. Purchasing a status promotion will only bring it to the top of users' friend's newsfeed, really nothing special, but Facebook is pushing the promotion saying purchasing the promotion will "most likely get the status more noticed".

Good or bad? What do you guys think?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Surely the whole point of FaceBook is that we can connect with friends and post status updates which they see. I can understand paying to promote something to people that I'm not connected to, but why would I pay to promote something to my FaceBook friends?

Honestly I don't like the sound of this one, if I saw my friends paying to promote stuff to me, I'm not sure that I'd look favourably on it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure I would keep them as a friend actually. lol I guess this could be good for pages though.

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I can see some uses. I have a fair number of Facebook friends, some of whom post many links, status updates, shares, etc... which push others' well down on my news feed. If someone is announcing their engagement, a new baby or some other special news that they don't want buried, it might be worth a few dollars to keep it on the top a news feed for a day or two. By a few dollars, I'm thinking $2 or $3. That isn't much but if you have a billion users and 10% of them use the feature twice a year, that is 1,000,000,000 x .1 x $3 x 2 = $600,000,000 a year in revenue. Even for Facebook, doing a little extra coding for $600 million a year is worthwhile. If their earnings multiple settles in at say, 15 time earnings, an extra $600 million in profit adds $9 billion to the market value of the company.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would probably pay $2 or $3 if I was having a baby or I wanted to promote my services, site, products, etc. They're currently asking for $7 a post I think.

6. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LoL facebook,
    Tweet promoting/paying for tweet is already been implemented by twitter. Now,the same way facebook is trying? But, this is bring lot of $ to facebook for sure.
    If I was facebook CEO, I would have done lot of things :p , there are lots of $$ out there and facebook is the #1 where people gather so why are they just doing such small copies?
    There could be something like : *Facebook Virtual Gifts system for fb credits. or anything as general people in facebook doesn't have any option to spend $$ in facebook.

7. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its not the same thing though and will probably not bring in as much money for them as it does for Twitter. When you promote on Twitter your status will be at the top of every single member's timeline, when you do it on Facebook your status will only be at the top of your friends' timelines.