Facebook Gives Your Home Address to Developers

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Joseph.Shivell, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Third-party developers can now obtain your home address and phone numberThrough Facebook-powered website logins and applications. A new policy allows users to authorize applications such as games to access their personal Facebook data, according to an announcement made by Facebook on Friday.
    When you use Facebook apps, or log in to third-party websites using your Facebook ID, developers can ask for your address and mobile phone number, if tat information is included in your Facebook profile. Users must explicitly give developers permission, but if it is not given, users cannot use the app.
    in a blog post, security firm Sophos saysthis new policy will encourage rogue applications from devlopers who can sell the information, and will "open up more opportunities for identity theft".
    If users are concerned, and still want to use Facebook apps, they can check to see if the information is included in their profile, and edit it if they wish.

The complete article can be found here

2. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No wonder one can find files with personal details of millions of FB users being shared on torrents sites...

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing users need to do is not to post any important details on their social networking accounts like address, phone numbers, etc.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with GekiDan and also feel that FaceBook needs to take privacy concerns more seriously. The majority of FaceBook users are not webmasters and many of them don't know the risks they fact by entering personal details on FaceBook. I've been avoiding apps recently, due to privacy concerns and I've gone through my privacy settings to limit access to my info as much as possible.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be honest, I only gone through the privacy settings over a month ago after some guy, who I don't know (not even connected as a friend), posted some of my personal pics on my fan page. I just knew that my profile picture album is open to everyone O_O. I blocked that person, banned his account on my page and reported on Facebook.

I think every member of Facebook must spread the word to every person to edit their privacy to the highest possible setting. So as to prevent identity theft and many more.

6. andykeating

andykeating
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have provided my cell number on FB to subscribe to the SMS updates..so should i remove it..is it really not safe???

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you just need to be a little wary of the applications you are using on Facebook.
    If you notice, there are reviews made on a certain application. Stay away from those with low ratings.

8. gakbisatidur

gakbisatidur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah...i have done that too...too risky