Facebook caught redhanded in anti-Google smear drive

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by GekiDan, May 14, 2011.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/220501/technology/facebook-caught-redhanded-in-anti-google-smear-drive

War between Google and Facebook starts and being #1 is in the line.
    Seriously? Is there a need for a war like this? #2 is not that bad.:D

• Like Like x 2
  2. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The tussle is not good for users of both sites.Lets see now where it will end up.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I suppose no one likes being knocked off the number one spot. The negative publicity from this will probably harm FaceBook's reputation at least a little, hiring a firm to make another company look bad is not the kind of behaviour that reflects well on a social networking site.

4. Rodox2

Rodox2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah, but c'mon this "war" has been going on for a while....google was the one using info about people found on the facebook website for their own social network they're trying to start up called social circle or something like that...it's like google is the slightly bigger kid pushing and facebook was the one caught trying to throw the next punch....or in this case, more of a groin kick

5. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh wow this is crazy!! I do think that it may hurt their repeutation a little but they are so big and popular it will just probably pass right by.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How true is this?

7. jorden.william85

jorden.william85
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems that both the companies have good presence in the online market industry but if the war still continues then i thought perception will be different on the business they have. Because every social networking companies tries to beat both of them which will take ball in their court...

8. electroman

electroman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it does matter! facebook caught google (wow)! Google was considered a king on the internet! Facebook, which was launched recently caught up to it so fast, ofcourse there would be a fight between the 2! :D

9. Rodox2

Rodox2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm pretty sure it's true...i've seen it on a couple of news reports and here is a quote from a quick article I just looked up "Facebook merely "wanted third parties to verify that people did not approve" of Google's using their personal data -- including Facebook data -- in Social Circles, the rep said."......you can see the full article here if you want http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/12/technology/facebook_google/index.htm

although, I was wrong about social circle...that is apparently just a gmail feature that takes info from networking sites you're a part of and not a social networking site they started (but it does say in the article that they are in the process of creating a social networking site to compete with facebook and google's employee yearly bonuses are going to reflect how well they do with the site, so you know they have to be motivated right now)

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Didn't Facebook also use data of their users in one way or another?

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

The only way I can actually see Google and Facebook being legitimate business threats to each other is through their advertising systems. And Facebook should know that no matter how much negative publicity they will pay to give Google, there are always going to be legitimate customers that actually do enjoy the Google service and post good publicity for the site. Some companies are very stupid when it comes to things like this... Facebook is one of them.

12. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Steve Jobs has also been encouraging various journalists to write about Googles Privacy policies, etc. Right now it is fair game it seems, the big companies are in constant legal battles with each other for patents, rights and more. Amazon, Samsung, Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and more are ALL in several legal battles which cross over between these companies.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The big difference in their methods is: Facebook have a limited advertising reach, only Facebook users can see the ads based on their interests, likes and geographic location. Wile on Google, with he use of Adwords, they can reach a wider audience via Adsense ads on most blogs and sites.