Everything You Need to Know About PageRank

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by ThirdSEO, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's all the information you need to know about PageRank:

The PageRank of a website depends on 4-5 different things, it doesn't only
    depend on the number of inbound links. That's a common misconception.
    I'm new to this forum, but see a lot of potential in it so I'll post everything
    I've gathered on PageRank so far. I've seen a lot of different people asking
    about how PageRank is calculated so I thought I'd make a post about it.

1. The Number of Inbound do-follow Links from External Sites

PageRank takes in to account the total number of inbound do-follow links to
    your site. The amount of weight each incoming link received is based on their
    "market share" also known as authority, which is based off all of the existing
    sites currently being indexed by Google's crawler. For instance, a link to
    your website from Google's homepage would count WAY more than a link from
    a normal website like my SEO site because of the sheer number
    of domains with authority that link to Google's home page.

2. The Number of Outbound do-follow Links on Your Site

A do-follow outbound link from your website counts as a "vote" for someone
    else's website, which means you give up a portion of your page authority to
    vouch for that site. Outbound links from your site take away from your
    total PageRank. An easy way to fix this is to make all of the links on your
    site no-follow links. Your main goal, if you're trying to increase your PageRank,
    should be to maximize the number of inbound links from the home page of other
    sites and minimize the number of do-follow links you have leaving your site.

3. The Damping Factor

The damping factor is basically the probability that a search engine user will
    eventually stop clicking on links. Since Google's PageRank calculation is based
    on probability, the damping factor becomes a number that effects the total value
    of your PageRank. This value has to do with the popularity of total links
    on a site and the probability of your link randomly being clicked on
    subsequent pages of a website. This value is calculated across all sites and
    is used in determining the final value your page is assigned. Basically, the deeper
    your link is from the root domain of a website, the less it counts because
    it's less likely that a Web surfer will make it that "deep" in to a site and randomly
    click that link.

4. A Few Assumptions

• Some Votes "Count" More than Others
      Domains that have higher authority have votes that count more than other sites
      with lower authority. This is the main reason why people place high value on
      websites with high PageRank values. Sites with high PageRanks, in general, have
      more inbound links (and more authority) than sites that have low PageRank values.
      Thus a link to your site from a page with high PageRank counts more than one with
      a low PageRank, ultimately boosting your PageRank more than usual.

• Only One Instance of a Link "Counts" Per Page
      It is also rumored that a link to your website only counts one time per
      page. If a site has 20 instances of a link to your website on the same page,
      you only end up getting one "vote." Now, if your 20 links are spread
      across 20 different pages of a website you'll get the full 20 votes. As always,
      the closer those pages are to the root domain, the more authority you'll
      receive.

The Importance of PageRank:

PageRank doesn't have as much weight in the SERP ranking algorithm
    as it used to, but it's definitely still a part of the calculation. Having a
    high PageRank means that you're getting a lot of inbound do-follow links,
    some of which may also have higher PageRanks and authority, and that
    your website is being more "selective" with who it votes for, assuming
    you're keeping the number of outbound links on your site low. Although
    PR doesn't have as much weight in the algorithm as it used to, the percentage
    of authority that is transferred from a site with high PageRank is still
    roughly the same. This is the reason why PageRank still holds value.
    Outbound links on pages with a high PageRank count more than other
    pages with lower PageRank
    . This means their Internet "real estate"
    is worth more than yours, assuming you have a lower PageRank than they do.
    In the end, a high PageRank still holds a decent amount of value, and
    receiving a link from the home page of a site with high PR still holds about
    the same amount of value as it did in the past. So if you keep those inbound
    links coming, and keep your outbound links to a minimum, you should start
    to see your PageRank increase with each update.

Drop me a Thanks if this post helped you at all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. upineter

upineter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I still confuse with pagerank algorithm. I have a new domain name but a week after i registered it. It become pagerank 4 but the old one still in pagerank 1.

3. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What? That's the first time I've heard about this... If I'm a PR 4 and I link to many websites then a month or two I will be PR2 or PR0... Is that what you're saying?
    Let me clear this thing up. No, your PR won't be lessen if you link out to other websites. And BTW, having only dofollow links will just gain your website a ticket to Google Sandbox. It's unnatural for a website to have no nofollow links.

Again in the domains, Matt Cutts already discussed about this a long ago as I remember. Google's algorithm don't give priority to .edu, .gov, etc. It's because that the website's with .edu, .gov, etc. has more informative content and authority that people needs that's why the result: algo gives them high PR and authority. Do you get the difference?

This is true. That's why it's funny that people often spam forums sites which is really irritating. I doubt authority has anything to do with being close to the main page. Being much closer to the main page only gives you a much higher chance to be crawled and indexed and not give authority. But if you are having a really good link structure within your site, this might be applied to authority.

Yes, PR is still a factor. But Google already said that people shouldn't really be obsessing in having a high PR. It's much better to be a reputable online personality than having a high PR.

Pagerank is just a meter. It might be because of your content (how useful it is, how important it is in your visitors, etc.) There are a lot of things you should be focusing on rather than having PR. Like Traffic, because it will give you ROI.

4. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, if you have a large amount of links pointing to other websites, especially if you have more outbound links than inbound links, your PR will decrease. That's part of how the system works. Otherwise, SEOs would only have to get one high PR site and then link to every one of their other sites from the site with the high PR site without losing any authority. That makes no sense. When PageRank was first conceptualized by Larry Page it was almost entirely based on the probability that you a search engine user would randomly click on your link. If your page links to another page that has no links that point back to your site the probability of them randomly clicking your link drops down to zero.

Where did you even come up with the .edu and .gov domain extensions? I didn't mention them once. I said some votes count more than others, and they still do. How familiar are you with the concept of Web authority? It sounds like you have the concept all wrong. Authority on the Internet is based on a combination of the number and quality of inbound links a site has, the total traffic volume and the site's ability to give the user what they're looking for. Here are the stats and facts:

Disney - 35,668 referring domains - PR 7

Harvard - 235,126 referring domains - PR 8

MIT - 253,626 referring domains - PR 9

But oh wait, here's the surprise: Adobe Reader Download - PR10, and look at how much informative content is on that page http://get.adobe.com/reader/

From what you're saying, you would have to assume that other sites are more likely to link to a subpage of a site than they are to link to the site's homepage for that statement to be true. The probability of a user randomly clicking down 10 levels in a link chain and clicking a link is WAY less than the probability of clicking a link that's on the first page. A link coming from ten levels deep definitely doesn't give as much authority as a link from the homepage. Why do you think directories charge more for "front page" featured links?

Don't know where you got the word obsessing from..If you would have read the entire paragraph, even just one sentence more, you would have realized that I was saying PageRank adds value to your site, not that you should be obsessing over it. Ignoring your PR would be a stupid move too. Why not have high quality content and high PR? The two usually go hand in hand.

To be honest, I don't even want to address this statement. I'll just point you to one of my blog posts. Top 5 Internet Marketing Factors That Matter in 2012