Ever tried learning via an audiotape as you sleep?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did once and failed miserably. I couldn't fall asleep for listening to the guy's voice! There was no gentle drifting off and waking up as Einstein in the morning for me. After a few nights of this I admitted defeat and gave up. :rolleyes:

Have you ever had any success with those types of products? I'm not exactly skeptical about them but am interested in whether they've worked for anyone else.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've never tried these, so it is probably a bit unfair for me to comment, but I will comment anyway :)

I've never like the idea of these products. Sleep is a time for your body and mind to rest. We take on board a huge amount of information every single day and it is during sleep that our mind works to make sense of all this information and to compartmentalise. The idea of adding more information while I'm asleep worries me a little.

But like I said above, I've never tried these and I don't claim to have any expertise in this area.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have tried learning through an audiotape more than a couple of times but never through sleeping. I'm a light sleeper so I also don't think that I can sleep while listening to an audiotape.

I've read of some studies about the power of our subconscious mind. If I'm not mistaken, it mentioned in those studies that our subconscious mind can learn more while sleeping than when we are awake. Not sure if this is correct or not, or if I remembered what I read correctly.

4. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've never tried it either but admin is right, sleep is the time when your mind and body needs to rest to the fullest.

5. entreator

entreator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Frankly speaking, it did work with me.
    once i had to prepare a report on an research paper,the paper was 88 pages pdf file.I started the audio format and started listening to it just before i was about to sleep.I dont know what happened throughout the night,but i knew what all the paper had and i woke up next morning and made an 8 page report on that research paper.
    maybe Nazreen is correct about subconscious mind stuff.It really worked with me that day.
    Would try that again.Its easy doing my home assignment that way if can finish half work while having my sleep.lolzzz

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How did you do that?

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was my understanding of why these audios should work too, Nazreen, so if it's wrong, we both are. :)

Fergal, you're spot on with that. Here's an article about a Harvard Medical School study which reflects essentially what you say.

Which gives me a dilema as I'm agreeing with both of you here!

Great! I was hoping someone would have said yes so we could hear more about it. :) Have you tried it again since then? I think I'd be doing it often if it worked like that for me.

I'd like to know how you do the audio format too.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that article Kay, very interesting. The phrase is mentioned in the article, and it is not for nothing that people say that they would like to "sleep on it".

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad you liked it, Fergal. Funny you should say that about "sleep on it". My father's always been a big fan of looking at things afresh in the morning. That was always his advice to us if you went to him with an issue. I can't remember him even saying he'd made a bad choice in life actually though I'm sure he did at some point. Perhaps he was wiser than I thought! I always thought it was a bit of a cop-out on his part. ;)

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For PDF files, just open the file and under the "View" menu, select "Read Out Loud". I think this feature is available with Acrobat Reader versions 8 and 9. The voice you hear sounds like that of a robot's though.

11. entreator

entreator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you open adobe reader---->go to View---->Read out Loud(13th row)---->select whether you want it to read the current page or the whole document.

The software reads the complete articles in US english accent.........

The thing with listening while you are sleeping, It does work i have tried it once again.
    I think if we do it repeatedly it works much better each time.Body becomes habitual to it ,like we become where we can listen to loud rock music and can still sleep.
    I think its more like a habit of the brain.Our CPU works 24*7 without sleeping it was just that we had hibernated our hearing unit while sleeping .
    In this method the hearing unit is still working.

Maybe it worked with me because i have a very brittle sleep.I can recognise people talking around me even when i m sleeping.
    Thats me ,please tell me whether there someone else who also went through a similar experience as i did.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Wow, thanks for that, I never know you could use Adobe to read out loud. I've just tried it and it works. The voice is a little bit annoying and sing songy, but it is clear and legible nonetheless. I don't think I could sleep, if that was playing, but everybody is different and it obviously works for you Entreator.

13. entreator

entreator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It did,and hope it works with others also.would like people to try it and tell me whether its something that happened me or is it something that can happen to anyone.Was a bit curious about whether that study is applicable to all??

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks so much, entreator and Nazreen for explaining that! I didn't know either. I think the tone of voice might actually aid you if you tried listening to it in your sleep because of the way it drones on. I wonder if the speech style is a factor or not...something to ponder anyway.

I would love to test it out entreator but I think my husband would object to my speakers playing. :) I'd be fascinated to hear if anyone else does though! I think you're our only success story right now.

15. Radiance27

Radiance27
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did, once. We had a review for our exam and my roommate have this audio-reviewer. We played it while we were sleeping. Actually, it was helpful. I was able to remember things during the exam. Even now, I can still recall what it was.