Ever take part in trade shows or exhibitions?

Discussion in 'Traditional Offline Marketing' started by Kay, May 4, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm wondering how many of you have participated in trade shows/exhibitions as a company rep or for your own company? I've been to a few in my time and was wondering whether the price of a booth is really worth the business you get from being there. Please share your experiences.

Please also share any tips or advice you've picked up because of your attendance on how to make the most of it.

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have attended a few:

Corporate: specific trade shows for the industry. Always took more staff than required so that 2 or 3 could walk around handing out small free gifts with the company name/logo on. It got people to the booth.

Association: As an association it was more about getting the name out there rather than selling, so we had to ensure the booth was in a good location with plenty of footfall. The best areas we found are: just by the entrance/exit as everyone has to pass or near the facilities area as again, most people needed to pass that area.

A good trick is to run a competition where you get people to leave their business cards in a box and one of them is picked at random at the end of the day to win the prize. It gets people look and also gets you an instant batch of business cards to follow up with at a later date.

At these type of things, there are always the people who want to have a discussion with everyone so you have to be prepared to talk them through your offerings and be very customer friendly. There are also people who just like to look around and will only speak if they have a direct question, if you instantly jump on these people you will lose them, so you have to quickly identify the body language.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've also been to a few and I've always enjoyed the experience. It is a great opportunity to network and to learn a lot about what is going on in your industry. It's important to have something attractive on your stand, that draws the crowd in. Perhaps a video presentation, an exciting demonstration or even free sweets can help.

If the crowd are not coming to you, you need to get out to them. Be friendly and personable and don't be afraid to introduce yourself to passers by. As Sean says get as many contacts as you can and most importantly follow up on those contacts as soon as possible after the exhibition.

Exhibitions are an expensive business and taking a stand at one is not a decision to be taken lightly. Be clear as to what your objectives for the exhibition are and put your plans in place to achieve those objectives. Ensure that you have the manpower to cover your stand throughout the exhibit and that you have ample supplies of any promotional materials and samples.

If you feel your business cannot justify the expense of taking a stand, you can always visit the exhibition and walk round the other stands. This also provides an excellent opportunity to network with people in your industry.

4. SmashHitDisplays

SmashHitDisplays
    uix_expand uix_collapse

seanstevens had great advice in regards to trade shows. The cost of trade show displays would definitely be worth it as long as you were participating in trade shows that are relevant to your industry and products/services. Going to every trade show that comes your way would be less effective than going to a few shows that are targeted to your audience. Make sure to promote your trade show booth prior to the event through social media or direct mail. This way, your audience would be aware that you'll be at the show and can plan on attending. Also, promotional giveaway items are a great investment because you'll be giving attendees something to remember your company by and will remember you long after the show.

5. pod11

pod11
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I have got some advice to make the most of your show. I supply modular stands to the shows for clients, but that is only half of the picture. You need to prepare yourself in advance to get exactly what you are aiming for, at athe show.
    You do well to ask yourself WHY you are attending?
    Is it to meet suppliers, new customers, for brand awareness, to gather data on people, or to meet and talk face to face and cement relationships?
    Is it to launch a new product, or service or company takeover?
    Is it to expound information or educate the attendees?
    Once you know this you can then start to succesfully exhibit..

Cost cannot directly be attributed to just sales. Its if you gain what you are after - thats where the real value lies.

6. speedingticket

speedingticket
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a sales rep. Some good posts so far, and I don' have much to add. Trade shows are definitely worth it though. You might be surprised by the amount of business you get after the show. Sometimes you don't do great at the show itself, but buyers are just taking it all in, and will call you after. Always be sure to supply them with business cards, catalogues, brochures, and anything that will help them remember to call. Like someone already said, promotions help produce more business. You can have things like show specials, contests, etc.. Anything that separates you from everyone who aren't doing anything. Let's say you have a contest going on where if they get a 500 dollar order, they're entered into a raffle to win an ipad. Little things like that help. Also be sure to notify potential clients, or existing clients about the show!

7. sangarmstrong

sangarmstrong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dunno but I've been in cool exhibition stands before from different companies. Companies are putting more and more effort in their events to gather more potential clients. And hosting an event is a lot of hard work. I mean, who doesn’t want to capture the attention of their target customers in their marketing campaign? Of course all companies love it! A conference is such a big and important event. If a company has new promotions and offers to give, it is truly recommended to send the message to your customers in the most eye-catching way.

#7 sangarmstrong, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  8. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

As I am part of an MNC, handling event based marketing, we do it for brnading, market positioning, PR. We have sponsors, but still the measure of ROI is necessary. Depending on the length of sales cycle, event ROI can be calulated. The key for us is to collect as many contacts as possible. To attract them we have our top sales rep at the booth, a talented speaker, an artist who can sketch them, an online check-in game through our app, lunch and learn!
    Right tradeshow, right people, priorly setup meetings, giving away educative value, one on one relationship built, and thanking them after the event gets them come back looking for our product.

9. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good trick is to run a competition where you get people to leave their business cards in a box and one of them is picked at random at the end of the day to win the prize. It gets people look and also gets you an instant batch of business cards to follow up with at a later date.