Ever considered smartphone advertising?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Kay, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was reading this piece at AdMaven on the explosion in smartphone usage and how it makes sense to think about advertising via that medium.

Any thoughts on that?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How would you target an ad to smartphone users? Would you simply display it on a page that is compatible with web browsing via mobile phone?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I have heard of a couple of uses for smartphone advertising. A restaurant here in Texas uses it to text specials to regular customers near lunchtime when they are deciding where to go for lunch. Some other businesses have been using coupons for merchandise that can be downloaded to a smartphone. When the customer goes to pay for their merchandise, they simply show the cashier their phone. With a little ingenuity, there are probably other ways to use it as well.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Funny you should mention texting. I actually think that it is one of the most under used marketing resources, by small businesses. It's really easy to set up a system to send texts to your customers and it is an excellent way to stay in touch with them and remind them of your offers. It can be particularly good for service based businesses.

For example I know of a beauty salon who used text messaging to fill up their quiet days. If they didn't have many bookings on a particular day, they sent a text message to their customers with a special offer that could only be used on that day.

Businesses that do go down this route, need to be careful not to send too many texts, however. Very frequent texts, or texts too early in the morning / late at night can annoy your customers and lead to them asking to be removed from your list.

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a great iphone WordPress plugin that makes it easy to read your blog on the phone.

I know of a mortgage broker who sends text updates about changes in the market, special finance deals and the like. One such successful campaign net him a tidy profit.

On the converse I had a beauty salon that did not deliver the paid service on a gift certificate, did not handle the inquiry well so it became a complaint which was not handled at all - their text messages about buying from them only served to add to my level of customer aggravation.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Tecknowoman, clever marketing wont save a business that does not look after its customers. As you say, the reminder will only compound their negative image.