Entrepreneurship in a Business Admin. Degree, helpful?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Chrisj0401, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

-Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this topic in-

I'm considering Entrepreneurship as my minor, with my major in Business Administration. I'm worried if I do get this degree and show it to employers, they'd see the Entrepreneurship as a negative. Would Entrepreneurship be considered a negative to employers most of the time?

I personally want it because I'm going to be an Entrepreneur, so the minor would be helpful for me as in skills.

Another question is, after I get my degree in Business Administration minor in Entrepreneurship, would many employers ask to see the actual degree?

#1 Chrisj0401, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suppose it would depend on how you sell it to potential employers. Personally when going through the process of hiring I always look for people who have the ability to think on their feet and adapt to change. If your going through an interview process and your asked questions about it then you tailor your answer to what they are looking for, if they are a company that makes many changes and makes decisions quickly then this is why you took the degree. If they move slowly, then you took it because you wanted to learn about change management (something slow moving companies always want)....

I've never been asked to show my certificates when going for jobs, but have always had to give dates and certificate numbers.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I can't imagine that future employers would view it negatively. Entrepreneurship is also important when you are an employee. My experience with conducting interviews was always that we had a preference for candidates who understood what is involved with running a business. An employee who understands that the business has costs such as insurance and rent, generally has a much greater appreciation of their job, than an employee who thinks that all sales revenue results in huge profit for the company.

This is just one way that entrepreneurship can help. But there are other ways in which employees with a better understanding of how business works can be a greater asset to their employer.

4. paperkool

paperkool
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is no Absolute

The answer to your question highly depends upon the employer. If you said Fed Ex, Home Depot, McDonald’s , Walmart, it probably depend on who the manager is. These are changing times. The old standards don’t always apply. The best thing to do when considering employment is submit to several, the same way you probably submitted to colleges. You all ready know your self that it’s the law of averages dictating solicitation. As Dick Chaney allegedly said, “Who Knows?”

5. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That make sense. I just hope I dont get one of those super paranoid employers who may feel threaten from hiring a person who has interests in being an Entrepreneur. Such as taking ideas from their company to use for my own company. A super paranoid employer may think that I would take his ideas and use it against him as a competitor. Which is totally understandable, hence is why I'm worried about having this on a resume/degree showing to employers. Especially with small business employers, than a big company who have managers doing the hiring may have less care for the company than an owner/founder of the company who may be doing more of the hiring in a small business.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wouldn't recommend making a decision based on what a super paranoid person may or may not feel :)

By the way I've never been asked to show my agree certificate and I haven't asked to see certification when I've interviewed people. That's not to say that employers don't ring up colleges and universities to verify that a candidate has the qualifications they say they have.

7. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So can I just say I got a B.A. Degree in Business Administration without revealing I got a minor in Entrepreneurship?

I may say I have Entrepreneurship skills from my minor, if I know how to explain properly as to why I have those skills and how it would benefit the employer for my having those skills.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can't tell the panel absolutely everything about yourself, when you attend an interview. What you do is tell them about the things that are important and will help you get the job. Same with your Entrepreneurship minor, tell them if you think it will help you. But don't lie or try to cover it up, if you are asked a specific question about your minors. Don't be overly concerned by it, if your interested in taking the subject take it, it's not going to do you any significant harm in the job market.

9. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For every job you apply for tailor you CV specifically for that job.

If the job requires a certain piece of knowledge then highlight that you have that. Make that the focal point of your CV and then the interviewer will also focus on that to determine if you do indeed have the relevant knowledge.

They will throw in questions about your minor and other knowledge and it is up to you how you respond. Always be open and honest. Tell them that it was an insightful course to do and has taught you a lot about business and you now believe yourself to have a better all round knowledge that someone who hasn't done the course.

10. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand now.. thank you guys.

11. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So what did you come up with the decision?