Enough UCAS Points........UNI! =>

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Adam, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heya.

Basically id say my goal at the moment would be to achieve enough points in order to go into university. Aswell as points, i will need to get maths gcse at grade c, in order to get into uni aswell.

So basically i have alot of work ahead of me in the final year in business studies that im currently doing, however im up for a challange and i just hope i can succeed in it.

If your not aware, im wanting to do business studies 4 year sandwhich course in university which requires me to get atleast 5 gcses (Got them except Maths) and atleast 160 points.

Lucky for me my course offers upto 240 for a distinction overall, so for 200 i would need mainly merits and one distinction (so ive been told).

Lets hope i get it as so far its looking good, getting merits on 2 assignments ive handed in so far!.corr ive never done so much work, much more organised then last year i tell ya!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your goal with us Adam and I wish you the very best of luck with it. I hope you're disciplined and studying hard. Real world business experience is excellent and will stand to you in the longer term. Just be careful that you don't stretch yourself too far and that it doesn't impact on your studies too much. Work smart and stay focused.

Please post back to keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you feel that there is anything we can help you with.

3. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No problemo.

I went to my 2nd university open day visit the other day and it was alright, not what i was expecting though. I have had 2 extremes so far as the first one was small in size and the last one i went too was very big and alot of courses were offered, although it was further away. Ideally id like to go to the one that is really close to were iam at the moment, but heres hoping.

With regards to grades so far, ive got 2 merits (well which my teachers say) which is good so far although i must get a distinction overall in one subject area, so a tad worried :S

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Go to a large respected university that's a long way from where you live. Move there, work hard, play hard and have the time of your life. Probably not what everyone would advise, but that's what I'd do if I was a teenager again.

5. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im just deciding at the moment which one to go to. I will decide once ive looked round them all :) which one i will be going too.

Many have different points such as being central or close to home which could result in me living from home to go to uni, which could be cost effective although i wont be as social if i become to meet new friends.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Everyone is different and not everyone's circumstances allows it, but moving away from home is a big part of the university experience, in my opinion.

Actually visiting the colleges is a good policy. You can get a good feel for a college once you actually visit it and spend some time on campus.

7. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah i think im gonna move away to Uni :) as i wanna soclialise more and if i get more friends it will be easy to visit them if they up there..

Visiting another uni this weekend..leeds met :D

oh and ive got a distinction grade so far aswell as merits :D so im well happy :D

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Adam, keep up the good work and enjoy your visit to Leeds.

9. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just been to leeds university (met) and its fantastic :)

Has a great atmosphere and overall it just sums up a right university for me including how central it is (around 40 min to were i live currently) so easy for travelling wise and generally its all central so the bars and clubs are nearby aswell as accommodation and lecture theatres :)

Thumbs up from me overall and i will defiantly put it down as one of my choices for uni if not then it will be top of the list for sure :)

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds great Adam. Does it have good quality courses that meet your requirements?

11. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah i think it does as i have had a chat with the tutor who will be taking me for that course and it just seems right for me.

Im allowed to do just 1 year general and then 2 years of my choice which will be business management..that suits me fine :D

Need about 220 points to get in, which means i have to get 5 merits and 1 distinction overall for the year2, that im doing at the moment.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds great Adam, keep a strong focus on your studies and maintain those good grades.

13. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hopefully i will do fingers crossed. Ive managed to get distinctions and merits so far ..so im well on target :D