Employing

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by WH Services, Oct 14, 2013.

1. WH Services

WH Services
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

Myself and a close friend are in the very early stages of starting our out maintenance and janitorial business. Neither of us are experienced in business but we both know the industry well having worked in it for years and we are confident we can make it work. We figure that we will have to hire at least one full time employee when we start doing business. My question is what kind of costs and legal issues should we expect when employing someone? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Employing is really important in business. I made many mistakes in the way I hired people. At one stage when I started receiving business mentoring, the mentor said that none of the 11 people working for me, were really an asset to my business. Small businesses fail by employing on a gut feel on not properly following up on the CV information. We tend to hire people we like and feel we can influence. There is a free downloadable book you can read about hiring right. Though I finally didn't follow all the steps, the principles, steps and questions he recommended, it did go a long way in helping me employ better. At that stage I didn't know the grounds I have to fire someone, and you really ought to get to know those. What is poor work performance... For instance I had a person that became extremely depressed and started to neglect personal hygiene and I was at loss to handle his odor and changed looks. Other times I requested things to be done, just to find no-one had implemented what I had requested. Jobs simply not done. Today I also know that measurement is extremely important to get proper results. You have to get feedback all the time, that is measurable. If you can't measure the daily grind, you won't be able to manage it, even if its just one person! If you don't manage them, they certainly will start managing you and then your business WILL fail!
    Really good advice to implement from day1 with regards to every personal you ever employ, (put it in the job description as a reason to fire! This will help you establish the expectation of results, taking responsibility and will help you to quickly identify how to solve a problem before it becomes a crises and help you identify training needs.) as well as for you, the two partners, is on a daily basis give feedback to you with regards to 3 things at the end of every day, not using more than 5 minutes to do so.
    1. What results did you get today? (this is measurable...) Not what are you busy with....
    2. What problems did you encounter today and how do you plan to resolve it?
    3. What did you learn today?

Here is the link I spoke about. http://topgrading.com/ Bad Smart is one of the world's best with regards to hiring the right people and you'll get the e-book "Avoid Costly Mis-hires" for free when you join his mailing list.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WH Services

WH Services
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I appreciate the insight. At first I am looking to employ no more than 2 people but if all goes well that number will expand within a year. I will look into the book link.

4. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 3
  5. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi AM Warner
    Great website to have as a resource...Great advice! Wish we had something like this in my country. Actually Nola should just expand! They seem to be offering a service that is very valuable to any small business in US.

6. bethw

bethw
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interviewing and recruiting is an art, and by asking the right questions, knowing exactly what you want, and following a structured process, you can minimize the chances of hiring the wrong person. Let employees know up front what your expectations are, prepare the rules in writing and make sure both parties review and sign a copy each for your records. You are placing an element of trust while you are hiring someone, that's why no amount of misunderstanding should be there between you too.

7. uttkarshsing

uttkarshsing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Team work is best work in office . Motivation power is very big. Different having different challenges so its work is very important to growing well.
    Business need motivated teamleader so they can handle employees of their groups are very well.

8. renniemart

renniemart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Proper business strategies as per the change in the market is also necessary for getting success.

9. Kimmy Yong

Kimmy Yong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may consider to appoint a lawyer to advise on employment contract.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WH Services

WH Services
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for the link! We are thinking we will probably be involved in the cleaning in the beginning stages, but the goal is to get a couple employees in there ASAP so we can focus more on the business end of things.