Employers Can Limit social time on web

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Tecknowoman, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found an article on this the other day and thought my summary below might be of interest..

A Brisbane based company 123educateme has developed a software that allows employers to allocate the amount of "free time" their staff have on the web.

The idea began because most bosses were found to be happy to allow employees to do personal stuff at work from paying bills to booking travel. What they were not happy about was being taken advantage of by the few employees who seem to waste huge amounts of time.

Up until now the choice has been to have no access or have full access and just wear the cost of the time wasters.

The Enforcer Enterprise software gives set amounts of free time so workers can access social networks and particular "non-work" websites, software and games during that time. When the allocation expires workers can only access employer selected programs.

For the first time it appears employers and employees will be able to have the best of both worlds.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a great idea Tecknowoman, thanks for sharing it with us. It will be very helpful to companies who wish to limit the amount of personal time their employees spend online and I see from the company website that it can also be used by parents to limit the amount of time their children spend online.

The company's website can be viewed at http://www.123educateme.com.au/

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd be a rotten boss then because I wouldn't let them do anything that wasn't specifically work-related online unless it was an emergency. Good idea though. :)

Which reminds me, did you see the story about the girl who, while resigning, outed her boss for playing Farmville for 19.7 hrs a week? She sent it in an email to the whole office LOL. Bosses best practice what they preach if they plan to implement any such monitoring software or keep the controls to themselves. :D I believe it's since been said to be a hoax, but it's still a good laugh.

http://mashable.com/2010/08/10/girl-quits-job-farmville-boss/

4. Klaus

Klaus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Employers may be able to limit time online. But it shouldn't matter. You shouldn't monitor your employees' actions every second of the day - bad management.

If you do it the modern way - a project based approach - then it shouldn't matter what they're doing as long as the project is in on time.

5. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seems to me then that the managers are the ones to blame for, since their lack of presence is the issue here.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not bad management to monitor your staff every day if you feel they're not working. I'm not into micro managing at all either but there's a difference between those getting the work done and those who are not and still surfing.

And even IF their work is always on schedule and they still have several hours free to spend surfing the net, say a third or more of their day, that tells me 1) they don't have enough work and need to be redeployed to other tasks to fill that time or 2) I have too many staff and need to make cuts. Either way it's bad management if you're paying them an hourly rate or basing a project's pay rate on how many projected hours to completion when several of them are spent on non-work related activities.

Let's be honest here. The majority that are of concern don't get their work done and just surf. If it was your money paying their salary, would you want to pay them for 8 hours worth of work when they only turn in a 5 or 6 hour day? I sure wouldn't.

7. jacobbon

jacobbon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well this is an employee & management relationship software I must say. As the employees can make use of the allocated time & the management can stop the wastage of time by the employees.

8. Dumpster

Dumpster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

great post a company has developed a software that allows employers to allocate the amount of "free time" their staff have on the web is great thing for employees and it resolve billing problem of employees.

9. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At one of the companies I worked at we took the stance to stop people being able to log onto Facebook. It was across the board and it was barred from all computers. Until some bright spark worked out that if you type www.www.facebook.com you still get into the site!

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good tip Sean :) Typing that into my Chrome browser doesn't actually work for me, however, it does work in FireFox and IE.

11. Cathy Duncan

Cathy Duncan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

seanstevens: Hmm good. We’re also managing our employees in the same way as we have blocked such social sites during working hours, but we unblock these sites during breaks. It’s good to block them during working hours otherwise the business owners will be getting less on huge amount of money!

12. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why would a company give "free time" for their employees anyway?

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Employers know that most employees won't work for 100% of the time they are being paid for. Having small breaks from work can even make the employees happier and more productive, with the net result that they get more work done during the day, when they are given a little free time.

14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i'd love to work with that employer where they do have coffee break, meal and snack during 3pm. so they all have 3 breaks a day. plus our surfing time. nice! :D