Employees slammed me on website

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Srevol, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Srevol

Srevol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am the floor manager of an after market auto parts manufacturer and have about 75 people under me. I recently received an anonymous email from thebossreportcard.com. Apparently someone on my staff filled out a very non-flattering report card and left some pretty nasty comments too. I looked at the headers and stuff in the email to see who did it, but the website didn’t have any identifying information about which employee created it.

I went to the website and they say that users have to be registered to create a report card, but they can sign the report card anonymously, and send it to any number of people without any trace back to the sender.

I am wondering if there is any type of laws that I can quote to the webmaster of site to provide me the information about who created the report card about me. I hate this kind of website. I think it’s irresponsible to let untrained people evaluate others, especially if it can affect their careers. I also want to warn other managers to investigate if their employees left any report cards on them.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Srevol, welcome to Business Advice Forum.

Did you review the report left about you?

Can you please send me a quick PM to confirm if you have any affiliation with the website you posted.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

PM received thanks. I'm sorry that you've had these issues with that site. To be honest the site doesn't look very professional so hopefully it will not be viewed by many people.

If the issues posted about you are defamatory, you may wish to contact a lawyer to get advice on the best course of action.

You could even try a professionally written letter to the site owners, it might be enough to get them to remove objectionable content. However, you would obviously need to be careful with what you say as the letter would likely be produced as evidence if you pursue the website using the legal route.

Best of luck with having this matter resolved successfully.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One thing we must remember in these types of situations is that we cannot please everybody. With this in mind, we know that there will always be people who will give nasty criticisms about us and say bad things behind our backs. If the things that were said are totally baseless and are obviously lies, then better get some legal counsel as Fergal had suggested. On the other hand, if there's some truth to the criticisms, then I think that it's time to look into ourselves and make some changes.

By the way, are websites like these legal?

5. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes the best thing is not to react at all.

If criticism is untrue, and it is obvious that the criticism is untrue, then just don't react in any way.
    If You defend Yourself, others will think: "Why does this guy defend himself, is there something true about the criticism?"

6. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If anybody can post on report card anonymously and you want to know who did it through your webmaster then let me give you some piece of advice.

Every employee logs in through some IPs,
    and the same Ip through which he reported can be determined because one of your employee uses that Ip. This may be possible if the webmaster has logger for every Ips that enters the website and especially writes a report card.

You can talk with webmaster with usual manners if it can sort out the problem.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that webmaster/s of TheBossReportCard website will reveal the IP addresses of it's members. If they revealed IP addresses, no one will ever file a complaint or rate their bosses in their site ever again for fear of losing their jobs. Also, the site's motto is "Helping bosses improve through anonymous feedback" so it wouldn't be anonymous anymore if they started revealing it's members particulars, wouldn't it?

8. ritajones56

ritajones56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like this a lot, I have been criticized many times in the past, and so has my business, but I reacted the wrong way and it gave people the idea that I was hiding something. This is an appropriate response for someone who has done nothing wrong and who is being unjustly criticized. Thanks for clarifying this so nicely.