employee quick turn over.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Yigal, May 18, 2012.

1. Yigal

Yigal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recently one of my team leaders gave me two weeks notice. This is a nice set back for me and my company as he was the highest person in my company for team work and project management. To make things worth, this is the second time in two years that someone is this position decided to leave the company. Each one of them left for different reasons. This one said that he feels he reached a wall and can't improve himself with the tools around him so he wants to work for a bigger company with more challenges.
    I am wondering, lets just say that what he is saying is true about wanting to learn more somewhere else. What should be my turnover ratio in a team leader / project manager position? (he worked in this position for 1 year two month and the guy before worked for 1 year 5 month).
    I am aware that someone reading this post might think that there are more issues going on but let's just say that everything else is ok. Is it just a coincident that two people left in just over a year in the position? How can I keep this for happening again?
    Any advice?

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's quite normal. Maybe they are looking to a more challenging career that will help them improve more and achieve their own personal goals. On the other side, it may spark a sign for you to do some changes on your business so that people/employees will have a compelling reason for them to stay more on your company or business.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This could be a reason because they are expecting more from financial side. I have seen people who jump over next company and seeking double the salary.

Lets say, if he is earning 25000 per month in the next company their expectation would be 40k+. But in the current company no one can afford to keep them. so prob they are keep on jumping to the next organization every year

• Like Like x 1
  4. kailamilos

kailamilos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that is normal especially if that is the highest position in your company. It is also likely that he saw better opportunity and new challenges. There is no guarantee that this will not happen again in the future. The best thing you can do is to constantly communicate with your employees and see how you can make it a better working environment for them.

5. gogreenbusiness

gogreenbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't let you anxiety control you too much. That is just a coincident and many people experiencing the same scenario. Just find another guy that value loyalty. :)

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that's good if the employer is reviewing on this issue. This kind of issue happen can be due to few reason
    1. your employee is over-qualification
    2. your pay is not good
    3. your company is not improving or/and in low standard
    4. working environment not good

However, as an employer, what to do is just review your current status, if none of the above mentioned, then it is probably not your company problem. turn over is happen on every company

• Like Like x 1
  7. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An employee left a company because of push and pull factor happen at same time. Sigma have mention all the push factor, pull factor from external could be due to high offer from competitor and market trend.

Further analysis on internal factor:
    1. your employee is over-qualification (As the qualification already tell us, they may work for temporary purpose)
    2. your pay is not good (Advise to do market survey)
    3. your company is not improving or/and in low standard (When company not growing, non of the staff have chances to get promo, no promo = no increment = no future)
    4. working environment not good (is the project manager workload? is team members no willing follow team leader instruction? How other support and facility, e.g. computer device, software, machine...)

5. How is your relationship with staff? are they like you? (once they like you, everything can be solve easily)

• Like Like x 1
  8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks patrick0001 for the deep explanation
    When we talking
    It is not only about salary and promo but the employee can not improve themself anymore in this kind of company after stay for certain time, they probably will lose the aggressive and become lazy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yigal

Yigal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all of the great advice. I posted an ad on craigslist and got a few interesting resumes. I am hopeful that I will find someone who might even be better then the one I lost. So after all there is a silver lining to this story and each employee has a replacement!

10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The day is keep going all the time, everyone can be replaced (including the boss)
    Finally, good luck

11. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every one is struggling for better opportunity and this opportunity is of any type. This may be financial, social, personal or for better standard. When he sees more facilities in other place, then it is natural that he wants to shift his place to another place.

12. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

And that's where over-qualification of an employee comes in - that sometimes employers cannot afford to support. Since they are over qualified they tend to look for a more challenging role that they haven't done yet in their careers.