Employee Problems

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Coastal Marine, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Coastal Marine

Coastal Marine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the first time on this site so be gentle but honest please.
    I have an employee that is not happy with his situation and is paid 50.00 dollars out of 95.00 billed is this to much of a salary ? I also supply him with a vehicle for work and pleasure. He is a great worker but likes to stay in my personal business and then talk with customers about it and other employees, He is a close friend. I feel that it might be time for him to move on because of what I call a mutiny. I have been having difficulty after the passing of my daughter in December and cant bring myself to be on the job as much as I would like and I know that this is not helping but he does not seem to understand that these things take time. Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks, Todd

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Todd, very sorry to hear about your daughter, that is a real tragedy and obviously this is a very difficult time for you. Have you spoken to your friend about how he treats your personal business? He should be understanding of the trauma you have experienced and he should be doing everything he can to support you.

The best approach would probably be to speak candidly to him, if he is a true friend he will realize what he has done and will make an effort to be more supportive of you. We all need supportive friends and colleagues. If this person is not prepared, to help then you may well be better off without him.

You say that he "is paid 50.00 dollars out of 95.00 billed" that does seem quite a lot, however it is difficult to know if it is too much or not, without knowing more about your business. After covering overheads, are you making a reasonable profit from the $45 (95 - 50) that's left to you? How does his pay compare to other workers in your business and to other workers in your industry?

It's not a nice situation to be in and I wish you the very best of luck with it.

3. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also sorry to hear about your daughter, Todd. There are really times when friendship is hard to separate with business. Often, one party will take things in a manner that is too personal which can really be destructive to the relationship. If you feel not working with him anymore, then there’s nothing left but to part ways as co-workers. I hope all things will be settled and that you can preserve your friendship.

All the best for you, Todd.

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have my deepest sympathies. As difficult as it can be it needs to be tackled head on. I went through a similar issue with an employee wanting to either get me to leave or when that failed get me sacked after my sister passed. The hardest thing was the behind the scenes undermining that happened.

Regardless of what happens with your employee in the long run the biggest and best thing you can do is to be seen, visible and talk with everyone. Be the person they like, are loyal to and can't possibly hate, or undermine. That takes away the power of the person.

If necessary start calling clients as well as a just to touch base. I really enjoy the personal follow-up with people we do business with so I wanted to call to see how everything is going and make sure you are happy with the service we're giving....

That way clients and staff will be right there with you - he has no power and then he will either leave, be sacked, or decide to be a positive team player and your company will only be stronger.

It's hard, it's tough and I understand just how tough it can be but the more you can be seen and personalised the better. if you are distant, absent, or damaged it just gives fuel to their fires. even if it is only for a little time each week, or each day but every single one of those moments counts in your own positive PR campaign.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Todd, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I agree with what's be said: be straight with the guy and tell him you don't want him discussing your personal business with anyone, staff or clients. I'm assuming he's doing so because people are used to seeing you around more and asking about you. He may not even realize he's out of line in what he's saying until you point it out. A friend will respect that.

December isn't long ago at all. Of course you're still grieving. If he's a true friend, he'll support you and pick up the slack until you're ready to get more involved again in the business. If he can't then cut him loose. You don't need the stress of worrying about what he's saying on top of dealing with the loss of your daughter. Be absolutely clear to him that you'll be parting ways if it continues.

I agree with Techknowoman that some visibility wouldn't go wrong. (Techknowoman, I'm sorry about your sister too.) Even if you don't feel like making the calls or doing much, just being seen more around the place could help allay any fears staff or customers have.

I didn't quite follow the money part I'm afraid and will await your response to Fergal's comments on that. And remember the car you're supplying him with for work and pleasure is a perk too on top of the wages.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

6. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very sorry to hear about your loss. May God Give you patience to bear such a massive loss.
    As far as your friend is concerned, i suggest you talk to him candidly. As being a friend he should understand what are going through.
    But my concern is as you are not even mentally ready to deal with the business, calls and clients then let him stay in the business until you recover from the trauma.
    I agree with the last part of Tecknowoman. Compose yourself as i know the loss is not recoverable but you have to make yourself strong to come back in the business and to get rid of such mean friends.