Employee Morale is Low

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Christi Brown, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Christi Brown

Christi Brown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being in a situation where employee morale is low can cause so many issues in the workplace. The employees are fed up with the current circumstances and just don't want to go to work anymore because when you get there, the mood and the attitudes of the employees is so horrible and it just makes for a gloomy day.

I've been in this type of atmosphere before and it's not good. Many people don't even speak to one another and others just completely ignore your presence even when it's just you and one more person passing in the hallway. Luckily, upper management felt the vibe and decided to have a series of meetings with the direct supervisors and then with the employees separately. The majority of the employees did voice their frustrations and upper management continued to meet to develop a plan to improve employee morale. After months of meetings, planning, and more meetings, more group activities were planned based on bonding. It was a little rocky in the beginning. In the end, better relationships were formed and developed and others were mended. Some remained strained.

Have you ever been in a work environment where employee morale was low and what did your company do about it?

2. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been in that environment several years ago,but it's such a long time I can't even remember the details, but it worked itself out as I remember. I have since seen or heard of it happening in other businesses. With my very small staff, I try to nip those things in the bud. It's terrible for business. Human nature being what it is, it's difficult for the strain and frustration not to be transferred to customers.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my first job, most of my colleagues do not respect our manager because they think they know more than our manager in terms of work. As time goes by, I realized the truth to those talks that our manager was somewhat ignorant in some areas and sometimes even reach a point that he would ask us basic questions. The morale of the staff was very low because of that. Worse, the manager appointed an assistant that was also like him - not well versed with the nature of our job.

4. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If employee morale is low in order for an employers efforts to improve morale to work they must find out why their employees aren't happy. Could it be because they are unappreciated. This in most cases is the cause.

The employer must prove that they recognize the value of their employees. Reward employees who do their work well, complement them when their work is well done and so on. This would boost employee morale.

5. Master

Master
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also faced the same situation in my previous company. But luckly people in the upper management sensed the trouble & series of counselling & HR rounds were undertaken so as to pacify the situation.

6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been an employer most of my working life. There was situation where one employee had a terrible attitude towards other employees and was ruining the general mood of the workplace. I wouldn't say that the other employees were demotivated, they just couldn't stand this one employee's general conduct. I had no choice but to have a meeting with this employee so that she could explain herself, it turned out that she had personal home issues and was taking out here troubles in the workplace.

Anyway, I reprimanded her and told her that it's not right for her to treat her colleagues in this manner, and if she continues I would have no choice but to suspend her. Eventually she rectified her attitude and the mood in the workplace improved.

7. FrankieD

FrankieD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think most low morale in the workplace has to do with the management. Remember, it all trickles down from the top. Even if it is not some jerky manager directly, it is at the very least, a management/owner culture that either doesn't care enough to communicate with employees in an empowering way, or lets that one bad egg infest the rest.

The Bad Egg:

Often I found there is one person who is very negative, or who talks to people in way they don't like but can get away with it. This can easily become two people as they often bond with another miserable soul. This is where lame management is to blame. Good managers are very well aware of this and know to scan for it and do something about it early. Most don't. Most are not in touch to that degree, or don't want to deal with it. Worse, sometimes the managers are in on the bad attitude.

The lack of willingness to respect your employees by getting rid of the ones who cause negativity, or the lack of willingness to replace those lame managers, seems to me to be a prime source of low morale in the work place.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been in this kind of situation/atmosphere before. It was my first job so I hardly had any idea about how the real world works. And yeah, the feeling of being in an unhealthy working environment really sucked. I wouldn't want to suffer that kind of thing again.

9. Nox

Nox
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never had to work through the situation, but I have seen it happen countless times. I do believe that the issue here lies with the management of the firm. Often morale is low when the leadership style is not suitable for the company/ employees, and if employees are unable to see the direction in which the company is going or what their purpose is in the company. I attended a workshop hosted by a company that deals with productivity management, essentially, what low morale does is destroy productivity. The speaker spoke of many instances where they were able to assist the management of a firm in regaining control of the business, but there were also times when a management team would approach them, but there wasn't much they could do to assist the firm (firm was too far gone). Using the use of external consultants who are firstly from the outside and can thus look at the situation objectively, could be an avenue the business can take. Sound like you company is on the right track, it's very encouraging that management was able to identify the problem and take action. Hiring external consultants for more ideas might not be a bad decision, it could also help the company in preventing the same thing from happening in future.

10. FrankieD

FrankieD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been in that situation as well, and fortunately I was able to keep it in perspective at the time because I am naturally a long-term thinker so was already aiming higher than that place could ever offer. My point is, see it as a stepping stone job and that's it. You (not you, but someone currently in that situation) are there just to max out on learning what you can and making good contacts to stay in touch with for the future (start building your network asap is always my advice). The whole time you are there you do a great pro job with a pro winner atttitude and show those contacts you keep your standards even under bad situations. I've gotten quite a few high-paying gigs in the past because people I knew from my first few jobs remembered my demeanor, so they knew they could feel good recommending me to others.

11. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been there. In a couple of different companies morale was rotten. Some of it was down to immediate line management and some of it was down to company strategy. What did the companies do about it? They did surveys, sought feedback and promised change. The right kind of change didn't happen and many people left, including myself. That's the way the corporate world works.

12. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We take advantage of the weekly or sometimes monthly coaching sessions with each employee. We sit and talk about their own progress, challenges, plans to improve performance, other issues and lastly anything that they think needs attention. Base on my observation, there are employees who are looking for some opportunities to have a casual talk it may not be work related which may seem a waste of time for some but it actually is helping improve the morale of the employees. Just the thought of them having a casual conversation with their boss keeps them motivated.

13. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My mother is currently going through one of these situations. She has been working for a company that does call center work for the last 10 years, and the current Building Manager doesn't care about customer happiness when a customer is calling, and would rather force businesses to buy stuff, instead of getting the support they are calling for.

14. AlexTuesday

AlexTuesday
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm currently in one of those situations - the company I work at is very chaotic and stressful. People are quitting and being replaced all the time, because they can't handle the stress. I work in the back doing packaging and labeling (its a jam company) and its only me and two other people handling thousands of jars every week. The employer does not value our contribution to the whole process and frequently leaves tasks undone. I don't even get paid regularly. Quite frankly, some bosses just don't put the effort in to run a business that is kind to their employees.

15. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never faced this thing but heard about it from my friends.Such kinda issue rises die to behavior of upper management. They don't show any interest to employees matters, never ask them about their comfort etc. Often the morale is low due to over strict environment of the organization. Some space should be given to employees in which they can enjoy their self