Email Address in Signature?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by shandycat, Apr 16, 2013.

1. shandycat

shandycat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know that in most cases it's redundant to include your email address in your signature block since it's usually in the header. I say "usually" because sometimes an email trail can go through a number of employees, and the person you may need to contact is buried in the middle where their email is not apparent (since the email did not come from them). For example: Bob Smith and Jane Doe work at the same company which uses an email format of "[email protected] John has a lengthy back-and-forth email conversation with a customer, and somewhere along the line Jane gets copied on one of those emails. Eventually, John suggests the customer contact Jane, but doesn't copy Jane so her email is buried in the middle and there's no associated header which would show her address. If the customer assumes her email is "[email protected]" because Bob's is "[email protected]", he runs the risk of contacting employee John Deere. Because Jane was hired after John and just happens to have the same initials, she was assigned "[email protected]". So my question is really this: Should JANE include her email address in her signature block to avoid confusion that might occur 1% of the time? Should EVERYONE include their email address in their signature block for consistency? Or should Jane just leave it off since it's not likely the situation described above will occur very often?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Whenever I send an email to a client or prospect, or someone else about company business, I always include my name, position, company name, website address and email in my signature. I don't always include it when I send an email to someone at the company's main office. With some email programs, such as Outlook, you can set up a signature that will automatically be included in every email you send. Using a program that automatically includes a signature, and setting up a signature with your email address, means it will no longer be a problem.
    Although you didn't ask, when John suggested the customer contact Jane, he should have included her email, i.e, "contact Jane Doe at [email protected]".

3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The given situation is very rare. However, if you wish to include your signature you can do so. That should not be a problem. Btw when John suggests the customer to contact Jane and does not mention the email usually the customer would ask for it instead of simply assuming. Although there is a chance he contacts the wrong person but that is again very rare. And even after contacting the wrong person the customer would be given the email to the respective person so it would be sorted. So it's not a big issue.

4. shandycat

shandycat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ha! Yes, John SHOULD have included Jane's email (and maybe even a phone number) in his email response to the customer, but that would require he THINK about what he was doing, and that doesn't happen very often where I work. Thanks for your replies, though. I have heard so many VEHEMENT opinions about NOT including the email address in the signature, coupled with the fact that most email signatures are ridiculously long as it is, and knowing that the issue will come up so infrequently has me convinced it's just not worth including it and risking looking like a fool to the 99.999% of people who see your email address in the header. My vote is still no. Just not sure how to break it to the employee who has the concern that she will miss an important message because of it. Unfortunately, this is also an employee who has a concern about EVERYTHING, so I'm tempted to just ignore her. Ugh. Life is complicated enough...why to people have to create drama where there is absolutely no need for it?

5. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its better if you have a standard footer for all your employees to use. So often, clients tend to just hit the reply and ask for Jane's email rather than assuming anything even though the pattern is clearly visible with the first email ID. But, to eliminate chances, it is better to have the email IDs in the signature block at all times. Its only that one needs to make sure that any work email ID and personal email id are separated at all times.