Efficiency: time is running out

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by CashAware, Aug 28, 2015.

1. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Efficiency is important. It helps you to succeed because you probably drive down costs by being efficient, and allows you to pass more time on other tasks rather than on one task, and the more you are productive, the more resources you create and money you can earn. That's the basic philosophy.

But to achieve that, I think the important thing is to use a to do list and a stopwatch. A to do list highlights your objectives clearly, and what you got to do next, instead of having to remember it yourself where it is likely less clear than you think it is. You maybe think you can keep it all in your memory and you can be convinced of it, but you will be less focused because remembering is less easier than seeing a list.

Then, stopwatch is a metric. Basically, it lets you know how much time you used to do a task. If the time used doesn't feel reasonable, it is time to optimize it, doesn't matter if you think you are at your best pace, you're probably not. The metric also let you to show the improvements. When you see something is taking too long and you tackle the issue, you will see how much time you own and if you are really doing beter of if your approach is getting wrong.

And you, what do you think of it? How do you get efficient and how it is primordial for your business?

2. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This really sounds like a good idea. I've heard that time management is important in business. Keeping a to do list sounds like a effective way to organize your task. There was a time I used to do all this but just started keeping things in my head. I believe being efficient in business requires being organized.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In the subject of efficiency, there are many factors before you can claim efficiency in work or even in a task. One is the result versus the resources. An example is doing a particular work using 5 people where the same work can be done by 3 people. So the efficiency is measured in the manpower used. However, the result should also be compared in order to have a valid measurement of efficient. And for an added measure, do not forget effectiveness.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is really an awesome idea. As much as you can, be really productive and efficient. Make the best out of your time, but of course, don't let your working schedule interfere too much with your time with family and friends. There should be a right balance so you won't get fed up.

5. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The use of a stopwatch is something I started doing last year. Basically, if I find myself distracted I will set the timer on my phone for 10 or 15 minutes. Then I will try to do as much as I can in that time period. Sometimes it's about racing myself, sometimes it's about focusing on one specific task and trying to do one small element. It's the best productivity tool for me.

6. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Remember that we are dealing with human beings we can only do so much in quantifying and interpreting the data. Consider the factors that contribute to the inefficiency for all you know it is the system itself that needs improvement and not the employees doing the job. Perhaps the job itself is too dragging .

7. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The stopwatch concept is quite foreign to me so maybe this is something I can explore. I believe a "to do list" is critical to proper planning and does make a difference if adhered to. As with most things, the difficulty for me is being consistent. I have observed that for some it is a way of life and it seems to work well for them.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm usually using a stopwatch when things do not only need to be done efficiently, but also within a frame time.

Otherwise, time as nothing to do with efficiency. I may do efficiently a job that takes longer to complete, and may do wrong the same task if feeling the pressure of a stopwatch.

9. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nothing like a deadline to improve efficiency !

10. richost

richost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use to maintain to do list for all my business activities. Most of the time it helps me to meet out my target in my business because i lose my focus more often so to make time efficient i'm working more on my focusing.

11. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would rather compare it to hours * manpower. If you involve 3 employee * 2 hours, or 5 employees * 1 hour, maybe the last approach is better, even though it asks resource from more people. After all, you complete the task more quickly in the last approach, and if you paid your employees in a hour contract for this task, it would cost you 5 hours, not 6. This also may result to more teamwork and so on.

If you are doing wrong a task because of a stopwatch, maybe it is a problem of efficiency, then. Normally, under conditions low-middle pressure you should be able to complete a task, or at least it would help. Also, time has to do with efficiency, because doing a little perfect, but in one year, in a business, it is not interesting.