eCommerce: Success or not?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by unleashed, Oct 31, 2009.

1. unleashed

unleashed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    I have heard from many of my friends that making business online is easy and profitable. I would like to hear your views. I know eCommerce can be easily setup by a pre-made script but I would like to know about few of its cons and pros.

What I get in pros:
    --> You get new buyers
    --> Easy payment options such as paypal
    --> Online exposure
    --> Advertising becomes easy

What I get in cons:
    --> Online payment could be held up for security reasons.
    --> Website might be down or hacked.
    --> Frequent server crashes may held the business down.

So what do you feel, is eCommerce good or not?

2. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, if you can do it well then you will make alot of money out of it. You just have to make sure to research into items which can sell well and also work out what your target market audience. Once you know them key factors, then you can be all set to go :)

I wish you the best of luck :D as id definatly do it.

3. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

eCommerce is a good business or not, depending on how we do it. there are some simple tips for this business type.

1. Target the Un-Targeted:
    Know your customers thoroughly and target those needs that are unseen by your competitors.

2. Strong Business Planning:
    Have complete knowledge of your revenue source, break-even duration and other important strategic details from the beginning, and decide on the milestones that are to be achieved. You should know the right moment to expand your business and plan for future sources of revenue.

3. Business Friendly ECommerce Software:
    Always choose software that is easy to manage and allows you to focus on your core business activities.

4. Create a Web Store with a Difference:
    Visual memory is more enduring than textual memory. Correct branding is important for the success of your online business. Increase your brand recall by creating an estore that is in tune with the likes and dislikes of your targeted customers.

5. Make your “Hot Sellers” most Visible:
    Highlight your best product/service first in your estore.

6. Do not let your Customers forget you:
    Customer Relationship Management is of prime importance, especially when you are small and struggling to build a persistent customer base. Develop innovative ways to inform past customers about new products and the latest updates to the web store.

7. Increase your Web Presence:
    Make your presence felt by carrying out intelligent marketing over the Internet. Perform search engine optimization (SEO) for your site.

8. Build Robust Backend Operations:
    Backend operations are the backbone of your online storefront. Spend time in analyzing the backend operations provided by the ECommerce software.

9. Learn Faster and Better:
    To err is human, but failing to cover yourself and allowing your competitors to exploit your loopholes, is suicidal and is a major threat to E-Success.

10. Surprise your Customers:
    Surprise your customers with frequent changes in your business offerings. Add incentives by providing surprise offers, price discounts etc.

Constantly innovating while remaining focused on your business goals will lead to success in your online business.

4. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now the e-commerce is back in action! i have some clients who are fully dependent on their online business, and their business is picking up again, i think it is the right time to start an e-commerce site!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unleashed, e-commerce businesses can be extremely successful and there are lots of really profitable ones. In relation to, "Frequent server crashes may held the business down", if you use a good hosting company that will not be an issue.

Is there a specific type of e-commerce business that you are planning on starting?

6. SallyM

SallyM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't' think many websites are actually hacked these days era they? maybe i am wrong

Also if you are wanting to be taking seriously as a business then the quality of your server is paramount - cheap and nasty will get you exactly that.

7. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

no, there are some elements who like to do that, but if somebody asks for better security measures, the webhosting comapnies are ready to provide them with some extra charges, since technology is also evolving, so these security measures are also becoming tamper proof!