eCommerce Software

Discussion in 'Apps & Software' started by Tejmal, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Tejmal

Tejmal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm thinking about opening an online store to sell gaming codes such as Xbox Live Codes, like I said in this thread - http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=11873

Which eCommerce software do you think is most suitable and which is the best one?

I would prefer if it's a free software but if the price is quite low then I wouldn't mind that much. Also, I have come across one, called osCommerce, what do you think of that one?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

osCommerce is a hugely popular and reliable ecommerce platform. They are a safe bet and you won't go too far wrong by using them. They also have a strong community forum, that you can turn to if you require any support or help with using the software.

If you do want to look at other options have a look at this post by Sahil, it links to the most popular ecommerce software.

If you don't want to build the store yourself you could consider outsourced alternatives such as Yahoo Merchant Services - this video explains it pretty well, ore even an eBay store.

3. Tejmal

Tejmal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the help.

Either going to use Zen Cart or Open Cart. Which one do you think is better?

4. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Both are good. Oscommerce is very dated in my opinion. Magento is also very good.

Regards

5. marchal04

marchal04
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

Hi,

I think both are good. In my opinion Cubecart is also very good.

6. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While most Open Source software is fine, as far as ecommerce applications are concerned, I prefer commercial software. It usually has a commercial edge to it that OS applications seem to lack.

Yes, I'm generalizing here, but it's based on a reasonable amount of experience with packages from both camps.

John

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

John, are there any particular paid products that you would recommend?

8. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've used several over the years, but these days I've settled on two:

Most of the time I'm now using Rapid Action Profits (RAP) for a number of reasons, apart from the fact that it was created by a friend and colleague whom I respect and admire, Sid Hale. We became friends well before Sid developed RAP, but I waited until there were a few features I really wanted (plus the excellent and innovative RAP Extras system to expand its functionality) before I took the plunge.

I particularly like the Membership-PLUS module and the way it's been designed for super-fast installation and set-up in just minutes.

The RAP system that I use cost almost US$500 to buy and option-up to what I needed, but it's worth many times more.

The other system I use is my own Zip-Cart i-Marketing System, which offers a fully-integrated system that's especially useful for people starting out in online marketing. It offers powerful, fast autoresponders and broadcast emails, integrated with dynamic shopping cart and searchable catalogue, affiliate management, ad and link tracking, order and payment processing, commission payment system and real-time reporting for just US$27 per month, with 33% affiliate commissions.

I use it for all autoresponder and broadcast messages I send, in either text or html, because it's so fast to set up compared to most other services. I still sell some products and services using it, but I switched to RAP for all affiliate programs I offer because it allows instant payments to affiliates.

Okay... that's what I use. I'm sure there are others worth trying, but with these two I know what works and what doesn't, and I control my own destiny. :D

John

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your recommendations ProfitClinic, I've Featured this thread.