Ecommerce Platform Selection for Startup

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by alexmxorco, Jan 29, 2018.

1. alexmxorco

alexmxorco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which platform performs the best for an ecommerce store in terms of speed and overall performance, Magento or BigCommerce?

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

It depends on the server, configuration, size of the size, number of products, number of visitors and a whole lot more.

In any case you can't compare the two as they aren't same. BigCommerce is a hosted platform and Magento is a stand alone platform.

3. Have you used offrs?

Have you used offrs?
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. Alex, it'll depend on your resources to design, build, manage and maintain the store. Just a friendly reminder, don't let tech get in the way of business. Maybe test the market with a smaller, faster and perhaps more costly solution (temporarily), then 6 months down the road, build a more robust solution to manage any gaps you find (a "Phase 1" and "Phase 2" approach).

4. David Jackson

David Jackson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As the platform is the base of the online business, So choosing the right e-commerce platform is a very important step in any online business. This decision entirely depends on your requirements and the expectations you have from it. Factors like finance also play a major role in deciding the best e-Commerce platform. If we consider the present scenario, open source, and SAAS platforms are widely popular amongst its users. E-Commerce platforms like Magento, WooCommerce etc., are all examples of open source platform. Unlike open source platform, SAAS based platform does not provide codes so only a limited level of customization is possible.Therefore those who do not have any technical knowledge usually prefer this platform.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Have you used offrs?

Have you used offrs?
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. This also brings up that while most take all forms of payment for processing (VeriSign, PayPal and the like), you'll have to check for things like ApplePay, Stripe, BitCoin and so on. I'm not familiar with this side of things, but you don't want to find out that the system you built doesn't work (in some capacity) in the market you want it to - say cryptocurrency. Again, not familiar with it myself, other than to say that you'll want to make sure you're doing your research in advance, before committing on a platform.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Massimiliano Basello

Massimiliano Basello
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, sorry for my poor English.
    With my startup we have just launched our ecommerce, with a high customization product(3d configurator) and we have chosen prestashop. We chose it because it is less heavy than Magento and you can easily modify source code. there are additional modules to manage everything.

7. Have you used offrs?

Have you used offrs?
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I've heard of it, I think. There are a lot of choices out there, so I suppose it will come down to comparing features (and support).

8. Mayank Tanwar

Mayank Tanwar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is very tough to choose which startup is useful for e-commerce platform. But for one thing I'm make sure about e-commerce startup it can take some time but price worthy. Keep quality products and understand in which field are you that what your customers wants and expects. Offers best deal and prices, keep updates all details about your e-commerce startup.

9. pooja joshi

pooja joshi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Magento is much better then BigCommerce. The only thing in which BigCommerce is some better than Magento is its easy navigation and customizations.

• Like Like x 1
  10. webhostuk

webhostuk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Magento is a bit difficult and resource comsuming but its one of best Ecommerce application used, because its stable , secured and feature rich than many others.

11. Simi

Simi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Magento is the best e-commerce application so far, just look at the market share for e-commerce platform and you'll see.
    It's stable, more feature, a bit difficult but worth to use.
    If you guys are newbie for this stuff, i think you should go outsource. It's cheaper than you spend time and hire tech team.

12. Jacob Hawkins

Jacob Hawkins
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In order to pick the correct ecommerce platform for your business, take a look at a number of of the top brands. It is probable that business owners moving into ecommerce have already heard of many of these platforms, but basically haven’t dived any deeper into knowledge about them. Many of these platforms offer different levels of pricing in order to cater to a wider range of ecommerce businesses.
    Some of the top ecommerce platforms here are:
    • Shopify
    • Wix
    • BigCommerce
    • SquareSpace
    • WooCommerce

13. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

This is joke post isn't it?

Wix? A top ecommerce platform?

And woo commerce isn't a platform, it's a wordpress plugin. Wordpress is the platform.

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I googled "Top 10 ecommerce platforms", and checked out a few of the results, including Inc.com, DigitalCommerce360, EcommerceGuide, and Zapier.com. All four recommend Shopify and BigCommerce, three recommend Magento, two recommend SquareSpace, and, yes, three recommend WooCommerce(it is considered a platform, even though it is in the form of an app. Wordpress is a website building platform, WooCommerce is the ecommerce platform within WordPress). Only one recommended Wix. Other top platforms include Yokart, OpenCart, and PrestaShop.