Ecommerce hosting vs Shared hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by OceanGerl, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OceanGerl

OceanGerl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all. I thought that I'd post my question in here since I've been working on my plans to start up a web store for my business.

Do you recommend to go with ecommerce hosting to host my web store or use the pre-packged ecommerce software that came with shared hosting such as oscommerce, zen cart, cube cart, and the like? I do have web and graphic design background myself so I can technically develop the software and CSS to my liking. I've worked with Miva Merchant in the past and didn't like it.

I'm afraid of frequent downtime, interruptions with online shopping experience, etc. I've been looking at Yahoo! merchant solution. I'm not sure if shared hosting is better than ecommerce hosting in terms of traffic and boosted sales?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum OceanGerl and thanks for asking your question. I note that you have the skills to work with open source ecommerce scripts yourself. Using one of these scripts with shared hosting would be a lower cost option than going with ecommerce hosting.

What advantages do you think you might get from an ecommerce hosted solution?

How much customisation do you need for your site?

Will you be running your site as a part time or a full time business?

What type of products will you be selling?

3. pakidesigner

pakidesigner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello my friend. i would suggest you to use magneto. its much much better then those cms tools you discussed above, magneto is seo optimized and have such features which are never introduced before, i am not from magento its what i used and wish to share my expereicne

4. OceanGerl

OceanGerl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since you mentioned Magneto, how is it better compared to Volusion Ecommerce? I've heard of Volusion recently and I really like what I see, especially vzoom feature that is cropping on many sites. I'm not sure if they offer ecommerce software download or if I have to host with them?

5. OceanGerl

OceanGerl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm taking on a risk to do this online and see how it goes. I'm doing a niche market so I need to amp up on my marketing plan to attract shoppers and why they should buy from my web store that many big retailers don't carry.

What do you think of Volusion ecommerce? It looks good and has all of the features I seek.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I haven't used Volution myself OceanGerl, but their website looks very impressive. I notice that they give a 14 day trial. This would allow you to check them out risk free. Services that give a free trial always inspire confidence, they would be more unlikely to provide a free trial if the service was poor and customers were not signing up after the trial.

I've seen some reasonable reviews for them, so if they have the features you need and you are happy with the price, why not sign up for their free trial?

7. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I think there is no need to go with an E-Commerce hosting plan, you should go with an Shared Hosting plan which suits your needs, because many of host sell same specifications and servers are also same but they just increase the price of E-Commerce plan.

Thanks

8. JohnPattison

JohnPattison
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i prefer to use private ecommerce hosting for my online stores, provided by ecommerce hosting companies with 24/7 security

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Closing old thread. If you would like it re-opened, please send me a quick PM and I'd be delighted to open it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.