Eating 5 fruits a day

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Jay., Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a huge fan of chocolate and other delicious - but unhealthy - foods. Then again, aren't we all? It's hard to tell yourself 'No!' and go and snack on some fruit instead. However, whilst I'm fairly slim, I wanted to try and improve my diet, starting first with eating more fruit and vegetables a day. We've all been told that you need 5 different pieces of fruit per day, but how many of us actually achieve this? Personally I don't really know anyone who actually reaches this goal.

Anyway, I've started eating more fruit and have instantly felt healthier and better about myself. I'm not quite at 5 pieces a day yet, but the difference is quite incredible and is obviously going to be very beneficial.

Sure... it may be difficult to go for the healthier snack instead of the chocolate bar, but it's worth it.

How much fruit and vegetables do you currently eat on an average day?

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't understand this logic of number game...all I know is that you should have a balanced diet consisting of right amount of nutrients...

Even you must have heard this famous saying-

"an apple a day keeps doctor away.."
    So why five number of fruits or vegetables...

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really like fruits. They are juicy and sweet for me. 5 fruits lets say, what I like is Apple, Oranges, Banana, Pine and pomegranate. I think it will be a lot for a day but still healthy and digestible. May be you have to reduce your eating schedule if you are going for 5 fruits a day. :)

4. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To make sure I get the right amount of fruits and vegetables in my diet, I started replacing my breakfast with a smoothie. But not your typical refined sugar infested smoothie. Every day is different but typically I'll blend a banana, apple, some pineapple, a pear, some berries, spirulina, kale or other variety of fruits or vegetables in a blender and take it down. I feel absolutely amazing since changing to this and it's only been about a week.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That sounds like a very healthy option for breakfast GeekGhost. Do you add something like natural yoghurt to the mix or do you just mix the fruit on its own?

6. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't really count how many foods I eat. Like you I tend to divulge myself to eating unhealthy snacks and it's really hard to stay away from it. But then again, I love to eat fruits, I don't eat that much vegetables but I love to eat the crunchy ones (mostly salad vegetables.) Other alternatives you can do is fruit shakes, use your blender and pop up some fruits you like.

7. brandy

brandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know I have to keep the doctor away by eating fruits and vegetables. I normally prepare juice using a variety of fresh fruits. In every meal except breakfast taking vegetables is a must.

8. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's pretty great Fergal. At first I missed my sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich I'd make every morning but the energy increase and overall healthier well being is so worth it. I can really tell the difference. On the rare occasions I add anything other than fruits or vegetables, it's either Greek yogurt or Almond milk.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unfortunately, while dieting, people overlook tow most important facts.

1. You cant be slim overnight. Its a exhausting journey and you need to work it if you want to see miracles happen.
    2. Starving yourself donot mean that you are loosing weight! Infact, we always advice you to have something in between breakfast and lunch and lucn and dinner. It could be anything - from fruit to low calories cereal bar.

10. sidler

sidler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with you. Everything takes time. I'm a newbie here. Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

11. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My method is eating carrots ;) You can treat them as snacks as they are pretty sweet and tasty.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Biz

Biz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

13. SmartDiva

SmartDiva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I generally dont go for fruits... But in season of mango and custard apple, I dont go for food..

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I love carrots and really should make a habit of eating them raw, more often.

It's hard not to love chocolate, next time I'm buying I will dry to get dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa as recommended by that article.

15. TT Annoy Me

TT Annoy Me
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I probably have a banana a day and sometimes some other fruits (depending on the season) but counting is futile. Just make sure you eat right.

16. alexdisuza

alexdisuza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An apple a day keeps doctor away.

17. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

apple and banana for iron
    papaya for vitamin A
    amla for Vitamin C
    watermelon for water content

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wasn't aware that those fruits were high in iron. Do you know of any other fruits that are also high in iron?

19. crater

crater
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I eat 3 or 4 fruits every day. I also eat dark chocolate which has some health benefits when i feel like eating something sweet.

20. sudhakar1

sudhakar1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I did make every morning in fruits or vegetables,I love to eat fruits only because this is one of good healthier ,