Earnings down! What to do?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by magician661, May 9, 2009.

1. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
    #1 magician661, May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your excellent ideas Magician and sorry to hear that the downturn is affecting your online earnings.

I agree that now can be a good time to buy assets that will bring a return in, in the future. Prices are falling for most things and there are many bargains to be had. There are also many people who are forced to sell, because they need the money, and they will often sell at prices they wouldn't have previously.

You do need to be careful that you don't spread yourself too thinly, to the damage of your business overall, there's nothing to be gained from having too many websites that you don't have the time or resource to manage properly.

Where did you look for your own advertising deals, did you use webmaster forums to promote your advertising offers?

3. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent advice. I see a lot of websites for sale right now, and as you note, this is a good time to buy. Same with houses, if you have the capital. However, the recession has not hit everything. In fact, April 2009 was my best month for online earnings. I've only been at it for a little over a year, so I don't have much to compare it to, but so far this year each month has resulted in greater returns. So keep at it, put in a little more effort, and realize your dreams.

4. nichewitch

nichewitch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have not been affected by the economy in my businesses. My main focus is in creating and maintaining niche blogs. The main monetization on those blogs is from Adsense but I don't stick to just ads. I also offer physical products through affiliate programs such as Amazon and digital products in some of the niches with Clickbank.

It is not hard to maintain many sites if you properly leverage your time and resources. Believe it or not, you do not have to post to every blog every single day. I have found that two to three times weekly is sufficient for my readers and for keeping the SE spiders happy. Schedule the posts ahead and you can work a blog every couple months, if you want. Outsourcing content creation or other more tedious tasks is another way to leverage your resources.

Always have multiple sources of income so that when one is down, you can focus on a different area.

5. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow these are good tips. But may I know which business you are promoting online ?
    If you are doing affiliate marketing, you can try something else. That is what I do when my earrnings are going down - I switch and I reap huge benefits. I have already switched my online business from blogging to adsense to aff marketing and now content creation :)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Flash, that's good news and a great achievement. Even small incremental improvement every month can lead to fantastic results very quickly.

Welcome to Business Advice Forum nichewitch and thanks for sharing that excellent online business advice.

That's a very interesting strategy for managing your time when you own a network of blogs. Are there times when you find it necessary to visit a blog more regularly because of changes in the relevant niche or industry that you need to post about ?

7. msaadw21

msaadw21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks magician for sharing your thoughts. You are right the earnings have decreased alot (specially from advertisement) and based on that your idea to use liquid cash to buy some of the websites is really good.

8. nichewitch

nichewitch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Changing your focus is a good strategy but it is reactive. Why not be proactive and use all of these strategies in your business?

The majority of my niches are evergreen topics without a lot of new developments happening. I do have a few that need to be updated more often. By setting most of my blogs on auto-pilot, I have the time to follow things more closely. Plus, just because regular posts are already pre-scheduled doesn't mean that I can't jump in with extra posts as needed.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Niche blogging sounds interesting, nichewitch. I have a question. How do you decide what is and isn't a niche? There's such a vast range of topics out there I'm wondering how narrow you focus it. Welcome btw. :)

Magician thanks for the thread. I'd also like to hear your answer on what Fergal asked about finding advertisers. I'm thinking of looking for some for The Cuckleburr Times and I've never had ads.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a new phrase on me. Am I right in saying that it refers to topics that are always of interest and are not driven by trends or fads, so personal improvement would be an evergreen topic, whereas celebrity gossip wouldn't?

11. Hovis

Hovis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's still plenty of people making money on the internet - and now's a good time to start building your business up, ready for the upturn when it comes. People are still looking for solutions on the internet, buying products & ebooks, clicking on adverts - and with fewer people buying, it's possible that advertisers will still be spending to ensure that they attract customers this holiday season