Earn more money on the web

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by snoop1990, Aug 2, 2008.

1. snoop1990

snoop1990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey,
    I am a student and I would like to earn some money on the web ;) (I guess all want to).

I started with some small side which is linked to my reseller at co.cc it is called

top-domain.co.cc

There are two google ad units and one google link unit as well, with the aim to trick the user and make them buy a paid domain from one of the links instead of requesting a free co.cc domain. By the way if they request a domain at co.cc I earn as well. But the page is not very successful, because it is too simple and I do not know where to advertise it.

The second project is host-xl.co.cc my byet host free hosting reseller, I earn a bit for people clicking the ads but not that much, which really makes me sad. I thought it would be much easier.

And the third project is my movie side called up-next.co.cc where I show of the latest trailers. Again I get paid for people clicking the ads.

But after all I do not earn that much with those sides so I would like to hear your advice how to advertise them best.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you considered getting TLD domain names for your sites, e.g. .com, .org or .net? This should help your sites greatly as it will make the domain names much more memorable and it will help your sites' branding.

http://www.up-next.co.cc/ is a nice looking site. The trailers are of great video quality but this has the disadvantage that they are slow to load, which may cause some difficulties for those with slower Internet connections. The ad placement on this site is also very good.

When I went to register a domain at top-domain.co.cc I was told that the domain was available but that I would be charged $10 for it?

There are lots of free hosts out there, what can host-xl.co.cc offer that the others can't. The domain name might work against you with this one, a subdomain of host-xl.co.cc would not be easy to remember and may prove unattractive for potential users.

Good luck with them, please keep us updated as to how you get on with them.

3. snoop1990

snoop1990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you, about the loading, all trailers are hosted by apple.com (I just have the links). As this is the fastest way to get the trailers for me (their servers are much faster than anything I can afford so far). And about the quality I chose medium as it is good for all the broadband users and the resolution is high enough to enjoy (not too small). I also thought about having different resolutions but than you always have to decide, which slows down the process, it is no instant movie watching anymore. So I hope most people are fine with the trailers.

Yes for extremely short or special names co.cc charges you but I can not change that. I just redirect you to their page.

We try to offer more professional support to our customers, than the others. I have a lot of experience in web hosting and web development so it is basically a support forum with a free hosting service. About the subdomains, I know that fact for sure but as you see we also offer .co.cc domain registration as that is the best way to start a free business. (just my thoughts). And it is the shortest subdomain available.

Thank you

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The first movie trailer I watched loaded quite slowly. However, when I looked at other ones they appeared to load much quicker.

Offering good quality customer support and service will prove to be a major factor in the success of your free hosting company. If you keep this up you will have satisfied users who will spread the word about your service.

5. snoop1990

snoop1990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope so.

6. Evaak

Evaak
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also hope so.

7. InspiredWriting

InspiredWriting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion any method that is designed to trick a user is not a good idea to get involved in. There are plenty of black hat and shady ways to make money out there, but what can I say, karma is a bitch. You don't need to trick anyone to make money online, there are lots of opportunities out there. I'd advise you to look into affiliate marketing, and if you can design, write or code you can get paid well to do something creative and sometimes even fun.

8. snoop1990

snoop1990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sure you can earn more money if you design websites and so on, but I am just a student, I can do Xhtml and css but I do not know where to sell my service.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Snoop have a look at the list of webmaster and trading forums in this thread. They are an excellent place to sell and promote webmaster related services.

10. dodgerDude

dodgerDude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree! Why need to play around with people in order to earn. I will definitely close a browse that will show annoying pop-ups. This could be the reason why viewers of your websites are not getting the bait. I did try opening one of your sites and was prompted with several pop-ups that I immediately closed.

You are actually doing the advertising your website right now so just continue publishing your websites.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very true, if you put too many ads (especially pop-ups) on your site, visitors will find it annoying and visit another more user-friendly site.